Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nut Sedge in Turnips

Bighole

I've got not sedge taking over a turnip plot. Anything I can spray to get rid of it that won't effect the turnips??

I don't know of anything. U could possibly read some agriculture readings, info and forums on farmers growing sugar beets (most common brassica with most data- similar enough to compare to ur brassicas) (beets- which, yes, now have round up as option too). I'll bet if u Google "herbicides for sedge in sugar beets" or something like that- possibly find something. But - reality..... If it were mine....
Depending on how bad, how many acres, here's viable things I've done or options...
-carefully spray with roundup with back pack sprayer on a course stream where u limit spray that kills brassicas. I'll literally drop some radish seed where i spot spray too if open spots.
-pull by hand
-if it's overwhelming and brassicas are not going to over take it... I'll nuke the whole thing and drill in a mix.
I had one issue this year with a "new area" that hadn't been rotated in past... Weed seed bank was nuts. I had to let it rain and germinate a couple times and burn down twice. Then I finally put my seed down and doing great.
Good luck - hope turns out alright.

Thanks for the input....leaning hard on just nuking the 1 acre plot and drilling in some winter wheat & oats.

Thanks for the input....leaning hard on just nuking the 1 acre plot and drilling in some winter wheat & oats.

FWIW - read Dbltree habitat stuff... I'd go winter rye over Winter wheat any day. I'd add in a few varieties of clovers if you did do all this and I'd add in some winter peas and radish as well. you'll be happier and it's pretty cheap.

FWIW - read Dbltree habitat stuff... I'd go winter rye over Winter wheat any day. I'd add in a few varieties of clovers if you did do all this and I'd add in some winter peas and radish as well. you'll be happier and it's pretty cheap.

Agreed. I've planted WW and found it was not that attractive to them. Basically the window they hit it was very short. Definitely do not do WW alone. If you want some I'd mix in some of what Sligh1 suggested.

Top Bottom