Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oat seed question

Fishbonker

Life Member
I bought oats, I can't rememebr now if it was Jim or Frank oats, to plant last summer. I have two bags left over. I want to put them out as food for critters. Is this safe? Are oats treated with the same stuff as corn and beans? They look like plain old oats to me.

Thanks.

The 'Bonker

It would say on the tag if they have been treated with anything. If they are not mixed with treated beans or peas I doubt there is anything on them. I personally have never seen treated oat seed, but there's a first for everything. If it's treated, it would usually be colored.

Feed some to the cats and see what happens... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif (probably more pentaly box time)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's treated, it would usually be colored.
</div></div>

I would agree and I also agree that I don't recall ever planting treated oats.

I'm all for testing them on those dang cats though... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turtL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Feed some to the cats and see what happens... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif (probably more pentaly box time)</div></div>

Cats and penalty box time story soon in PMA. Maybe not tonight, but soon.

The 'Bonker

If the oats are treated, more than likely they are treated with Raxel, which is a little different treatement than on corn and beans. It shouldn't hurt anything. If they are treated, they will be colored either with light green or red colored treatment.

Top Bottom