Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oats

antlerfreak

Can someone tell me if there is a certain type of oat to use in my plot?
I here alot about "buck oats" but I cant find them. I can only get regular oats. Is there a difference? or is "buck Oats" just a brand name of regular oats.
Also does everyone suggest planting my oats and rye together in the same plot, or seperate them into two plots. I would like to plant them together so when the oats frost away the plots still have rye available, but I would also like to see what the deer like more given they are planted seperate.

Thanks.

I here alot about "buck oats" but I cant find them. I can only get regular oats. Is there a difference? or is "buck Oats" just a brand name of regular oats.
Also does everyone suggest planting my oats and rye together in the same plot, or seperate them into two plots. I would like to plant them together so when the oats frost away the plots still have rye available, but I would also like to see what the deer like more given they are planted seperate.

Thanks.

Try Biologic Trophy Oats, excellent plot for early and even mid to late fall

Rye and oats are a great combination! And no need to purchase expensive oats (unless you like a pretty looking bag) any common oats will do.

Rye and oats are a great combination! And no need to purchase expensive oats (unless you like a pretty looking bag) any common oats will do.
this is a fact. This combo is probably my favorite mixture watched deer use it all season don't waste your money on a fancy bag buy a bag of regular oats and a bag of rye grain

Thanks, that was my suspition. Do I still use the recommended amount of each per acre when
Mixing the two together or cut the amounts in half?

if a guy does rye and oats in a grain drill, how many pounds per acre do you drill instead of broadcast?

Thanks.

I just order mine from welters today. I ordered non certified jerry oats. $8.57 a bushel they come in 1 1/2 bushel bags. my only problem was shipping was just as much as what i ordered. I only needed 3 bushels

Make the decision for yourself biologic and some of the other big food plot companies make some very good food plot mixes, more to the research then the bag...so you save a few dollars...

I just order mine from welters today. I ordered non certified jerry oats. $8.57 a bushel they come in 1 1/2 bushel bags. my only problem was shipping was just as much as what i ordered. I only needed 3 bushels
That is what can get you when ordering from Welters. I know there was a place near Des Moines that sold rye grain and possibly oats if that is closer for you next time?

Make the decision for yourself biologic and some of the other big food plot companies make some very good food plot mixes, more to the research then the bag...so you save a few dollars...

Very true, Biologic and Buck Forage have done extensive testing on research farms trying to come up with the best "forage" for your whitetails. I would highly recommend Buck Forage Oats. Go to their website and they will show the difference between forage oats and normal oats, and their resistance to frost and browse pressure. IMO they are the best out there. (and they don't come in a fancy bag) :grin:

Very true, Biologic and Buck Forage have done extensive testing on research farms trying to come up with the best "forage" for your whitetails. I would highly recommend Buck Forage Oats. Go to their website and they will show the difference between forage oats and normal oats, and their resistance to frost and browse pressure. IMO they are the best out there. (and they don't come in a fancy bag) :grin:

I agree, and I also see why some buy the cheaper seed and mix it (time and distance permitting) to each his own...!

I don't know about which will stand the cold better, but I planted about 1/2 acre of Buck forage Oats next to a field of regular oats and the deer ate both the same, so I have always used regular oat after that

(and they don't come in a fancy bag) :grin:
True, true.:D Deer will demolish those oats as well. Find whatever works for you, the shipping through Welters sometimes is tough but if you can get together on a seed order with some friends that might help. Take some pics of the plot!

I don't know about which will stand the cold better, but I planted about 1/2 acre of Buck forage Oats next to a field of regular oats and the deer ate both the same, so I have always used regular oat after that
Not trying to knock the BFO or Biologic. Deer love oats, that is for certain! We noticed the same thing that deer seem to love any oats and haven't shown a preference.

Last edited:
. Deer love oats, that is for certain!

That is no doubt! Didn't mean to sound like I was arguing, just think guys are to quick to assume that all seed is equal. If that was the case you wouldn't see farmers planting Pioneer, Asgrow, Wiffles, and some of the other high yield, high dollar seeds. I know that they are trying to make a living and not deer farming, but it is still good to do your homework and try to get maximum tonage out of whatever you plant in your plots. I also think if you manage your plots and soil and control your weeds, you will see better results no matter what you plant. Saving money is great, but cutting corners will not have satisfactory results in most cases. :way:

Didn't mean to sound like I was arguing
Not at all!
I also think if you manage your plots and soil and control your weeds, you will see better results no matter what you plant. Saving money is great, but cutting corners will not have satisfactory results in most cases. :way:
Great points, couldn't agree more. We've tried to cut about every corner you can in the habitat work... got bit in the end every single time. :rolleyes:

Not at all!

Great points, couldn't agree more. We've tried to cut about every corner you can in the habitat work... got bit in the end every single time. :rolleyes:

Absolutely, the key is to not cut corners, I have learned the hard way!
Do it step by step the correct way and the plots will work...(as long as you get some rain!)

Last year I planted Plot Spike oats ($25+ a bag)and they did not come up worth a .... , got some plain oats that a cattle farmer friend feeds his cattle (NC Jerry $9 a bushel)and and they came up great and the deer demolished them. Luckily I found this site and have learned my lesson about buying buck on the bag seed of any kind. Deer like the generic and I like to keep my cash.

Des Moines Forage & Turf in Ankeny sells almost anything you need for food plots if you are looking for some place good in central Iowa.

you wouldn't see farmers planting Pioneer, Asgrow, Wiffles, and some of the other high yield, high dollar seeds. :way:

I can't believe you used the two in bold as "high yield", high dollar seed. I always thought Pioneer's slogan was, "If we can't sell it to you, we'll give it to you." :grin:

Top Bottom