Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Odd Deer

Bone Slayer

Last week a buck was pulled from a spring leading to a pond. The body was completely submerged just the head sticking out. The neighbor pulled it out and got it away from the water. The buck was barley breathing and was checked for any source of wound. Nothing came up, no arrow hole, or any holes of any sort. A few days later it was found by the land lord back in the water again completely submerged with the head sticking out but was dead. Why would make a deer do this? Even for whatever reason it was in the water, why would it crawl back in? CWD? Blue tongue? Whats everyones thoughts

EHD gives them an extremely high fever. It isn't exactly EHD season right now though and it kills them within 4 days. I would see if your local CO would be interested in taking a brain tissue sample to help find out what happened. Honestly it could be a hundred different things. I'm curious..

It isn't exactly EHD season right now though and it kills them within 4 days.
The acute form kills quickly but the chronic form hangs on for weeks and some deer can actually survive. My son killed a survivor this fall. Tell tale signs were low body fat and the bucks hooves were peeling away from his feet (sloughing hooves).

Top Bottom