Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Off the Roost

jjohnson

Off the Roost (VIDEO ADDED)

Tuesday morning me and a buddy setup in a small hayfield a couple hundred yards away from a known roosting timber. We heard several gobblers flydown into the pastured bottom and gobble like crazy all morning. At one point we pulled a few of their hens up the ridge and within site. Big no,no as seven toms showed themselves only to gather up their flock and herd them back down into the pasture.

This morning we decided get in close and see what all the fuss was about down there. As I laid my pack down and start to take the blind out. One of the boys let out a thunderous gobble. Sounded like he was in the damn decoy bag. Oh shi$ we're too close. We scrambled to get everything setup hoping they would confuse us with cows. As we got settled in we could see the whole flock roosted 100yds away. As the hens started to bail out and land all around us I knew we were in for a show. Three of the five toms pitched and landed 35 yds out to our right. With hens chirping all around us the three toms ran back and forth so excited I don't think they knew what to do.

After 10 minutes of running back and forth gobbling like crazy trying to get the hens rounded up the trio settled into a little strut zone. As the hens inched closer to the dekes the smaller of three gobblers figured he'd come see what the DSD jake was all about. The two bigger gobblers followed 10yds back. His shy walk turned into a run and within seconds he was all puffed up next to the Jake. I guess I was a little excited for my first decap and let him have it 5 steps from the blind. The watch read 6:30.:way:
In next hour and half we got to watch one of the toms breed a hen. Until his buddy got jealous and the boxing match was on. I don't know if anyone else has seen this but it was hilarious. It started with the two posturing until one worked up the courage to throw some judu chops. They ducked and avoided most the blows then the neck twisting started. They literally twisted their necks up and tried pecking eachother's eyes out pushing and shoving all over. Very cool morning.

Here's a quick cut up video of the hunt...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6l0D2kW7m4

IMG_0257.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom