Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

OK. give me your first thought !!

moosehunter

PMA Member
I can but a 1998 Polaris Magnum 425 4x4 with 1500 miles on it for what I think is a reasonable price, but maybe I'm wrong. It is in good condition. Not busted up or anything and the tires are OK.

1st, is $2200.00 reasonable?

2nd, is 1500 miles average or high miles?

Polaris isn't my 1st choice of ATV but if this is a good deal I may snap it up.

What do ya think??????

I like Polaris's.....just do not have the coin that Ghost has to buy a Ranger. 1500 miles is an average of 250 miles a year. The important question is how has it been serviced. Your kids would probably want the Bigfoot Lift, Wheels and tires so Tires are the least of your worries. I would say the price is fair and if it was adult driven it would hold it's value a little more with me.

In my opinion, any Polaris over 2 years old is not worth having. If you don't know the history of this machine, I would stay away from it. Every Polaris I've ever known ran fine when it was new, but with a little use, eventually became a regular at the local shop. For $2200, I'm sure you can find a solid Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki, something that was built to last. In my opinion you will be getting a $2200 dollar headache.

moosehunter,
Love my Sportsman and have zero trouble with it. Bought it with 800 miles on it and it runs like a top. Don't know anything about the Magnum. But as stated it would be great to know the person who owned it before you.

I would also stay away from Polaris, My parents have owned many qauds and Honda has always been the longest running and most dependable. I dont know what they are going for though, check a price qoute on cycletrader.com

I've got a 96 Polaris Explorer, that I bought used about three years ago. I've replaced the battery and the chain and that's about it. I've abused it, and used it, and nothing major has ever gone wrong with it. In my opinion, quads are like trucks.......sometimes you get a good one, and sometimes you get a bad one. If it starts well, has good brakes, and has good compression(you can tell a-lot just by how hard it turns over when pulling the start rope) I wouldn't be afraid of it, and 2200 doesn't sound like a bad price considering a new one is probably 6000.
CRITR

I would say it is a fair price. We currently have 5 polaris four wheelers one of them being a 1992 trail boss that doesn't get ridden much but starts right up everytime you need it. Then we have a 98 Explorer which has been great since it was new and a 2000 that has been great also. The other two are new 700's and have been good so far other than one little factory recall. We don't exactly baby them either they are worked hard and by far have been the best atv brand we've ever owned I would say if you are confident with the atv go for it. JMO Good Luck!

hey moose i have that same exact four wheeler and to tell u if thats high mileage mine has 7563 miles on it so no thats a steal in buy it in a heart beat mine takes a beaten keeps on ticking its a real nice four wheeler all i do to it is keep it maintenanced and runs great never any problems with it

I don't know moose. How much is, not having to drag out deer by hand, worth to yah? 2200 seems about right to me. I don't like polaris's but that is a personal preference, but the price doesn't seem to bad. I would of payed alot more than that sometimes, to drag some of the deer out I have in the past.
grin.gif

MOOSEHUNTER,
I AM A SALESMAN AT A LARGE POLARIS DEALER IN OH. THE 425 MAGNUM IS A GREAT MACHINE. POLARIS MODELS FROM THAT ERA REQUIRE A LITTLE MORE PEIODIC MAINTENANCE THAN OTHER BRANDS. THE REAL BEAUTY OF POLARIS IS THE AUTOMATIC TRANNY AND ON-DEMAND TRUE 4 WHEEL DRIVE. CHECK THE DRIVE CHAINS AND SPROCKETS FOR EXCESSIVE WEAR. HAS THE PREVIOUS OWNER GREASED THE MAIN BEARING CARRIER IN THE SWING ARM. ARE THE TIE ROD ENDS LOOSE? IF SO GET THE NEWER ONES, MUCH BEEFIER. CHECK THE FLUIDS, ENGINE OIL IS A 0W-40 SYNTHETIC AND IF IT'S FRESH WILL BE A LIGHT GREEN. THE DARKER IT IS THE OLDER IT IS. THE TRANNY FLUID IF NEW AND CLEAN WILL BE A LIGHT PURPLE. THE FRONT HUBS HAVE AN ALLEN HEAD PLUG AND THE FLUID SHOULD BE A MEDIUM GREEN. LOOK AROUND THE FRONT HUBS, FRONT AND REAR, AND CHECK FOR OIL STAINS WHICH WOULD INDICATE LEAKING HUB SEAL. ALSO LOOK FOR OIL IN THE LIP OF THE INSIDE FRONT WHEELS. CHECK FOR EXCESS PLAY IN THE SWING ARM AND AXLE BEARINGS. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS GIVE ME A CALL 330-351-3769.

MIKE

I don't know about 1998 models but Polaris really has got a great product going now. I have a friend who has a dealership here in Tulsa and if I had the extra coin I'd have a Ranger tomorrow. If it's a sound machine (Drive it) it sounds like a good deal to me. They have a big plant up by Okaboji don't they?

Perry, it sounds like a deal, but I would like to also know how it was ridden. I would attempt to speak with nieghbors, saying your looking for kids house where he buzz's up and down the roads and really tears hell up. I would try to ask several niegbors until you know you have the the right guy whos selling. That might work. Does he have teenagers around. For a 98, the miles are really low, sounds like he did his hunting or wood with it. Are the tires stock, shack the front tires, see if theres any play and most atv's don't have a magnetic oil drain plug or for the pumpkins. Check to see if it has been greased in all fittings and those if not maintained can be expensive. I would have a dealer look at it and see if the Polaris dealer has past history with it and check it out. 2,200 is alot if your buying garbage.

spen the extra cash on a Kawasaki. You'll be happy you did. They'll out perform a polaris any day.

I had a number of other people I've met on the trails who were riding them and they liked them when they ran. A number of them around the late 90s had problems due to "poor" protection under the chassis. Many stopped riding Polaris and went to either Kawasaki, Honda, or Yamaha.

I have been seeing quite a few of the newer model years though and they appear to be built better. I ride Honda just because I've never had any problems with any Honda equipment, but I think it really comes down to what you plan to use it for and bang for the buck ... especially on something used.

Ask around, check the major mechanicals, see if you can ride it, and if possible take it to a dealer to have it inspected. Good luck.

Top Bottom