Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oklahoma Wild Hog Hunt

Willie

PMA Member
Oklahoma Wild Hog Hunt

Three buddies and I headed to Davidson, OK on a wild hog hunt with Roberts Ranch Outfitters. Davidson is located on the Red River down in southwest Oklahoma just across the border from Texas. We had no idea what to expect but we were quite pleased. Monty Roberts is a local guy that really had his stuff together. This hunt is a down and dirty, no frills hunt. We had a decent place to stay on his ranch and he took good care of us. When he said he’d be there at 5:30 am he was always 10 minutes early. He made good recommendations but always let us have the final say on which stand location we chose or how long to stay. Again this is nothing fancy, but for $250 of 3 days of wild hog hunting and all the pigs you care to shoot in that time frame, we found it hard to beat. If anyone wants any info on this place pm me and I’ll be glad to share his information.

We all shot boars and I have to say the meat isn’t too bad. I’ve eaten the inner tenderloins and some goulash made of ground boar and some venison sausage. The wife and kids couldn’t even tell. From what we were told, it’s all in how well you care for the meat after the harvest (just like anything else). None of these animals were allowed to hang more than overnight – and it was lower 30’s for lows. Very lean and pink like pork. I can’t wait to do it again someday. The last picture is of the youngest member of our group. Taylor is 14 and had a blast. Unfortunately he missed an opportunity but found some laughs in the armadillo the guide shot while taking us to our stands.

2464Pig_Country-med.jpg

This is me with my hog - 100 lb boar. The guide said there's no such thing as a purebred anything down there, but he said my boar is as close to being all Russian as a person gets in that area. He was the smallest of the three but had the longest tusks (approx 2 inches) unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of those nasty things.

2464Pig-med.jpg

This is my buddy Brett. His pig was the biggest at an estimated 200 lbs.

2464Brett_Bill-med.jpg

Here's my other buddy Paul's pig - his is on the right. He was around 150 lbs and he shot him the first afternoon we were there. He put a spot and stalk on him right in the roadway!

24643_Pig_Capes-med.jpg

And last but not least, Taylor's Armadillo.....Man did we have some fun with this kid
grin.gif

2464Tay_s_Dillo-med.jpg

Is that a newer suburban that's painted up in camo and all beat up? How'ed the armidillo taste?
grin.gif

I thought that first one hangin was a german sheppard.

Congrats on an awesome hunt.

Congrats to all of you. Man does that get me pumped up. One week from today I'll be down in Texas doing the same thing.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Is that a newer suburban that's painted up in camo and all beat up? How'ed the armidillo taste?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was a newer suburban completely torn up. This thing was awesome. He tore out the original captain seats and replaced them with old chevy bench seats. No interior trim was left and only one of the power windows worked. It was unbelievable what this truck went through. We had rain, freezing rain, sleet, hail and snow all in three days and that truck never missed a beat. He'd throw the dead hogs right in the back and off we'd go - those hogs have a distinct odor
doah.gif
but he didn't care.

Roberts Ranch Outfitters LLC
580-305-HUNT (4868)

Roberts Ranch Outfitters

Give him a call and check him out.

[ QUOTE ]
$250 of 3 days of wild hog hunting and all the pigs you care to shoot in that time frame, we found it hard to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang that is some "cheap" fun!
cool.gif

Did you pretty much take a stand and watch a runway or clearing?

How far was the shooting?

My son wants to shoot one of those doggone things in the worst way!
grin.gif

Looks like a blast congrats!!! I did i hog hunt in texas well i wasn't much of a hunt it was more like hog shooting. Do you know if they do archery hunts there? I really would like to get another hog but with my bow this time.

Top Bottom