Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

old knife

sofakingfast_1

Anyone know much about old knives? Ive had this for years.My dad found it in the trunk of an old car he was hauling to the junk yard. He gave it to me. I was cleaning out my truck tool box because Im using it as a livewell for my boat. Rediscovered this knife. Anyone have info on it?
DSCN0943.jpg
DSCN0949.jpg
DSCN0946.jpg

Muddy is correct. Odd as that sounds.:D
Question is, how old, what maker, etc. Some of them can be worth quite a bit and most are not. If you want, I'll forward the pics to a friend that is up on these things and get back to you.
Maybe we can get him to register here after he sees this. He has a wealth of knowledge about knives that would be welcome.

Last edited:
Here's what i got back about the knife......................

The knife,, is an original Kukri,, carried by the legionary "Ghurka" Indians (from India) these knives were made, and made is not a good term, in 3 different sizes, this one pictured is the small one, I have the med size, the large one was one used for ceremonial purposes, chopping heads off goats. All of these knives were made by hand by small shop knife makers, none were made by mass production in a factory, or stamped with any makers symbols. The only thing they share is the basic shape, and the little notch thing on the bottom of the riccaso area, and if you really want to know what it represents, I'll tell you!!! These knives varied in thickness from 3/16 to 1/2 inch thick. The medium size had 2 smaller knives tucked in the sheath for eating and general cutting chores. There is lots of info on the web about the Ghurka's and their famous knives called "Kukri's"...... Hope this helps,,,,, value is all about condition but I'd say $50 to $100,, as you can't tell age as no one company or maker made all of them..... Jon

Cool! Thanks a bunch Shovelbuck. I didnt figure it would have that much history to it. Pretty crazy that I have it really. Thanks again.

Here's some more info he sent me....................................

It's a little known fact that the Ghurka Indians from India were such a fierce warrior bunch, they were never defeated in combat by any invading force. When the British came to India to take control and make everyone their servants, they ran into the Ghurka's. They were small in stature, that's why the grips on the knives were so small- small hands. The favorite way of holding the knife for combat was tip down edge forward. The British had Martini/Henri single shot rifles with bayonets. In the skirmishes after the shots were fired they ran forward with the empty guns. The little warriors would do the most unlikely thing in hand to hand combat, they would fall forward under the bayonets and come up with the kukri and cut the Brits from crotch to throat. So fierce were the Ghurka's that the British finally made an alliance with them that still stands today as the British now have special Ghurka regiments. The medium knife as the one I have, it had the 2 knives tucked into the scabbard for all general purposes. The Ghurka had taken an oath not to remove the large knife with out shedding blood with it. So if you asked to see the large knife, from a loyal tribesman, he would have to cut himself first, then hand you his knife. Your friend has the small size, the med size was the combat, and as I said the large knife was a ceremonial knife, used for killing sacrificial animals, mostly goats, over 2 feet long! The story about the oath is true, I met a WW2 vet who saw the oath taken seriously and saw him cut himself then hand the knife over. He never asked to see a kukri again!!! This was with the British forces in Normandy France. ----- Jon

Man thanks a bunch shovelbuck. That is some interesting stuff. I cant believe I have the small one! The blade on it is probably 12 inches. I bet them things did some damage. It will be a good conversation piece. Just like the UFO (Unidentified Floating Object) case that I still haven't cracked.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom