Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Old pear tree

Wi transplant

PMA Member
I would appreciate any suggestions on what to do with this ancient old pear tree! Any way to prune / fertilize for better fruit production ?
cbb7ab39932d210de6edc71bc2842399.jpg
d114bd472823b27d5453737680780ea0.jpg
9ebba9f464da079d3961ac75f8ff7c38.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Can start when it’s dormant…. Cut off dead branches. When trees get that old- the only or main concern is a major break in trunk or big limb breaking. Can prune the form up a bit to reduce weight in certain areas where it could crack- bad crotch angles, etc. I’d prune some inner branches in winter to get wind & sun in there a bit more. Could give a bit of a fertilizer boost next spring…. N-p-k & Also things like boron, lime, sulfur, iron & zinc…. Can get at coop or can get a box of miracle grow if didn’t care about higher cost. don’t over do it as the trees looks pretty good. Lucky!!!

Good question, Wi transplant! Skip, I have a couple big mature ones like this at a rental property of mine. They're tall, but not strong enough where I'd feel comfortable climbing up to where most of the fruit is... would it be feasible to prune it way down in height to make fruit harvest more manageable? If so, do you have to ease your way down, or can you get wild and really hack the top half off and expect it to survive (assuming ends are sealed right away)?

Good question, Wi transplant! Skip, I have a couple big mature ones like this at a rental property of mine. They're tall, but not strong enough where I'd feel comfortable climbing up to where most of the fruit is... would it be feasible to prune it way down in height to make fruit harvest more manageable? If so, do you have to ease your way down, or can you get wild and really hack the top half off and expect it to survive (assuming ends are sealed right away)?
Disclaimer...I am not an "old pear tree" expert...but I have done a fair amount of amateur fruit tree management over the years and did study after the subject, informally, a fair amount back in the day. (Note - about 30 years ago we moved to a place that had an established fruit tree orchard, many varieties of apples, pears, cherries, peaches, you name it, a beautiful set up. But the trees had not been maintained in years...so I dug in, read up and brought those trees back to full productivity over 2-3 years. I had so much fruit I couldn't give it away, etc.)

There were 3 or 4 pear trees there too, so I have had a little experience with them. A couple things that I would say based on all of that...

1. Don't prune while leaves are on the tree. (It is OK to remove small "suckers" at any time, but not branches and limbs.) Late Jan through Feb is your best timeframe.

2. Do not remove more than 30% of the limbs in a given year. In other words, it may take several years to get a tree all the way back to good, that's OK. I would be careful about whacking a large section off of the top in one swipe. So yes, ease your way down IMO.

3. Study how to make your cuts, over the years I have seen many improperly pruned trees, fruit and otherwise. Doing it wrong can greatly enhance the potential for disease or pests to hurt your trees.

4. A rule of thumb when pruning...the tree should be open enough for a bluejay to fly through the middle of the tree and not hit his wingtips on any branches. This according to an old boy who advised me back in the day. :) The same old boy also told me, "Do you want to grow leaves or fruit?". He was not afraid to really whack the branches off of a tree...but over time as necessary. A good bearing fruit looks pretty "skeletal" without leaves...that's OK.

thanks, Daver! Yeah I'd heard the 30% rule for apple trees... figured it was the case for others too, just wanted to make sure.

Top Bottom