Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Olf fashion plowing / Winter foodplot

doublerack

The future Mrs. Doublerack family is from Story county where her parents have a small hobby farm (lots of cows, chickens, goats & a couple of draft horses) Not to get off the track from whitetail management, but her dad is hosting a plowing event Oct 22nd where about 10-15 different teams bring their horse & plows and till up about 40 acres the old fashion way. It just so happens their route will pass right along the edge of the timber where I have a stand. I know it's getting pretty late in the season, but is there anything I can put down that will grow enough by December and that we can get rid of before seeding next spring?
Regardless if there is a plantable source out there, it should be fun to watch.

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's getting pretty late in the season, but is there anything I can put down that will grow enough by December and that we can get rid of before seeding next spring?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i would take a cue from pharmer and leave it lay for the winter.
With this cold weather moving in it would be borderline to even plant rye...but it is possible if we get some warm weather yet. All I can say is rye seed is cheap...
smirk.gif

ISU sez... ISU link

For overwintering small grains as soon as possible after harvest or before Oct 15th. No matter how late- If you can get rye to germinate, there will be days this winter you swear it is growing. I love hunting turkeys in or near a rye field in the spring.

Top Bottom