Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

on the fence..score and age please

3.5 year old. This one needs a pass, could be a giant buck next year. Never kill a giant if ya take em to young.

What about score?

What about this scenerio.....you have only 3 days in shotgun season to hunt and wont hunt my land in three years because I am going for my bow tag next. I know he is in velvet and could be long gone, but I just want to know if he would pass me if he would score decent or not. have others on camera too, but he has some character that I like. thanks for the input

he has some character that I like

The score is unimportant then...if you like this buck then you should just enjoy hunting and harvesting him.

As mentioned he is not a mature buck and has some potential but your opportunities may be limited in the coming years...;)

Threw some numbers together on this buck and got an approximate gross of 125 inches. Give or take 5 inches id say pass him if there were more oppurtunities to hunt but with only 3 days of hunting for the next three years, Id say throw a sabot through his bread basket! Got a lot of days left and buck movement before your season so who knows what may move into the area, perhaps ol mossy horn.

Looked back on some footage of last years muzzleloader hunt where I filmed a pro staffer and we had this buck on the footage reel. He has to be 3 1/2 at least.

I'm not sure what you guys are looking at...

He's at least 5 1/2 and most likely older. Not trying to sound too sarcastic, but they don't have big necks and shoulders when they're in velvet guys. Look at his belly, that deep brisket, and his great big ass, he's a fully mature deer--not to mention a moose. Contrary to what many people believe, most deer, even in Iowa, will not grow 170+" antlers "if you let him grow up."

Buy all of Mike Biggs' books, plus Antler Development in Cervidae, they really help.

Bronc

Last edited:
Top Bottom