Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

One Final Hurrah

jkratz5

I finally made it over to IL this past weekend to chase some birds with my brother and to take his two kids on their first turkey hunt (they didn't have tags they were just along for the watch, they will be hunting next year). Our farm is sort of weird when it comes to turkeys, there are always a bunch of them, and they always all fly to the same spot off the roost, right smack dead in the middle of a 150 acre crop field which is surrounded by a horseshoe shaped timber.

Sunday was no different, we got setup and had 4 birds within a 100yds of us sounding off around 5:00. As the morning continued to wake up birds were gobbling everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I would guess there was a minimum of 15 gobblers on the farm. About 5:15 the first birds flew off the roost, straight to the middle of the field and began screaming. Soon after the entire field filled up with turkeys, 8 gobblers and a handful of hens standing about 250yds straight in front of us. Several of the birds were really fired up and gobbled at everything. Finally, I put the call down and just let the dekes do their job. Two of the gobblers broke off and came to investigate. They were soon picking on the Avian X jake pretty good, and boy they really did not like him at all. We got the guns settled on the birds and just waited to see what the rest of the birds were going to do, we were particularly interested in two of the other gobblers as they were BIG!!! Well the big boys skated us by about 100yds so we settled the sites on the two in the dekes and gave it the ol 1, 2, 3.....BANG!!! The SP-10 and Xtrema 2 barked and at 5:50 we were tagged out.

It was pretty fun seeing how excited my neice and nephew were, and I was glad they got to see a great show for their first turkey hunt, with a bunch of gobbles, strutting and ultimately a kill @ 15yds.

It has been a great season for me, was able to fill all 4 of my tags in 3 different states, I have gotten to be a part of a couple of handful of kills between my birds and calling for others, and got to witness a few unforgetable hunts. Always disappointed to see the season come to a close but a lot of great memories were made again. 2014 Kansas season can't get her soon enough.

Bro with his bird, Still an animal hunting on a broken knee cap!!!

Kratz

You did have one heckuva season Jarin! killed one of your biggest birds to date, introduced some kids to the sport, and filled all your tags! nice work! congrats to the Kratz Bros...you guys are a gobbler's worst nightmare!!

Top Bottom