Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Only a one acre foodplot, what to plant

jmm46

Just wondering what everyone would plant. I have 12 acres of woods and 1 of the 12 is cleared to put in a food plot. I have Corn, Soybean, and Alfalfa fields around my property. What would be the best plant to plant(most yield per acre of food for late season/winter attractant)??

Late season/winter...my vote would be RR soybeans. Assuming the beans around your piece will be harvested by this time. That is a pretty small plot though, so if you have high deer densities in the area, they could clean it out pretty quickly.

NWBuck

My bet would be winter wheat, rye, and oats. Or something similar that is green late into the season. Doesn't cost much either. Alfalfa would be good if you want a more permanent plot.

I would strongly consider a turnip and rye mix. You need maximum forage for later in the year through to spring. I have had much larger bean plots wiped out but rye in the same place tends to provide a longer season.

[ QUOTE ]
My bet would be winter wheat, rye, and oats. Or something similar that is green late into the season. Doesn't cost much either. Alfalfa would be good if you want a more permanent plot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also throw in some winter peas.

[ QUOTE ]
I would strongly consider a turnip and rye mix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cereal grains and brassicas are a great low cost late season plot.
waytogo.gif

Clover can work well but IMO it's not always the best in late season and it sure won't last into the frst of the year.

Alfalfa is perfect...but harder to manage in a small plot.

RR beans in a small hidden plot at least where I live is "food plot suicide"
smirk.gif

If you go with rye and brassicas they need to be planted by mid-August which is a tad early for rye and on the late side for brassicas.

I would do oats in the spring (cheap) and rye in the fall(cheap). That would be almost year round grazing for $25 a year.

I had good luck with 1 acre of corn last year, but I have fairly low deer density and I wouldnt want corn in a timber plot anyway.
In your situation I think I'd heavily broadcast RR beans in the spring, then till them under in August and go with oats/rye or WW/rye. Both would be easy, cheap, should help control the weeds, and the beans would help provide some nitrogen for your cereal grains.

jmm- I am in almost the same situation you are this year. I have one acre to plant. I have a resident herd (ie- their bedding area is on my land) of about 6 deer. Last year I planted my own little homebrewed Biomaxx plot. It was wiped out by the time the corn was knee high. Of course other deer visited, but it is my feeling that anything under 3 acres or so of corn, forget it.

I have planted brassicas on August 1st twice now with outstanding results. The deer leave it alone until the first couple of frosts. They don't hammer it until end of January though. I had them bedding next to the brassicas every day when it was the only green thing for miles....

So.....this year I am taking the advice of the guys here and will plant some rye/oats a few weeks later than the brassicas. Good luck!

Top Bottom