Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

opening day tough bird

jclaws

PMA Member
Opening morning did not start out as i had hoped,we set up within 100 yards of two toms.as light arrived they flew down and went with the hens,so we moved to a new spot. at about ten oclock i got a gobbler all fired up to the south but he wouldnt budge,after about an hour i hear a turkey getting closer from the west up the creek.he ends up coming out into the clearing and tries skirting us at 43 yards,so i take the shot. I thought i smoked him, until he started strutting.So i started calling and he started gobbling.Then the turkey to the south gobbled close.He ended up coming out into the clearing strutting and moving closer,then the first turkey gobble right behind the blind.He was heading to whip turkey number two, he came out at 30 yards so i shot him. the first shot went clear through the breast,and it didn't phase him. it worked out in the end.he was 28.2 pounds with 1 3/8 inch spurs and a 10 1/8 inch beard.My heaviest bird to date.
good luck to all
4003-dscn0015.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome bird Joe, I will begin my stick flicking Friday AM. Had great luck during youth season had 3 long beards come in to the set up all under 10 yards. Jacob finally got it done on the third try. Hope that luck continues. That is a toad of a bird you shot there. Did you stuff him full of sinkers before you weighed or did you leave the lead arrow in him??? LOL Great job.

Top Bottom