Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opening day - WHACK! - pics up

muddy

For the first time in my life I tagged a gobbler on opening morning! Usually I was in class or at work, but last week I decided last minute to take the day off. Daybreak found me glassing 3 groups of birds, each group having one or two gobblers stutting in the trees. All in all I estimated 40 birds within 300 yards. As the morning wore on I had one nice tom come in to investigate but I couldn't get him away from his hens. At about 0800 it got REAL quiet as the gobblers got "henned up" on me. I knew that if I stuck it out and showed some patience a bird or two would come hit the strutting zone that I was camping on. At about 1030 I noticed several hens and one gobbler a LOOOONG way off, probably a half mile or more. As I glassed them 6 jakes came charging in and broke them all up. The jakes chased off 8 hens while 2 of the other hens started making their way towards me... followed closely by the gobbler. They went down into a large valley and out of my sight, I took the opportunity to rearrange the decoys slightly and hunkered down. At 1100 I saw them run onto the grassy knoll I was on and start coming my way. The hens finally brought the old boy by at about 20 yards and I zipped him with a Rocket Hammerhead. He went right down with a broken back and was dead by the time I got to him. No guillotine for me this year, I was scared to try and get it out the little tiny windows of my Matrix! No pictures or "official" measurements yet, gotta wait for someone to get off work to get the business done. Estimates are about 1.75 inch spurs, 11 inch beard, and probably about 24 pounds. A very nice bird for opening morning!

Re: Opening day - WHACK!

Nice. I only wish it was that easy some of the time! Can't wait to see the pics. We may need to see pics of the tape measure and the scale to make sure your not cheating on the contest
evil.gif

For real though nice job!

Congrats Muddy
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

The only thing that sucks is you have to wait a couple of weeks to shoot another.
smirk.gif

Dang nice bird, that thing has some hooks on him.

[ QUOTE ]
A very nice bird for opening morning!

[/ QUOTE ] that sounds like a dandy for any morning to me.
grin.gif
Congratulations on a fine Bird!

Managed to run back out to snap a photo, only to find that the damn camera had been left on and the batteries were drained. I got one field photo, 20 yards from the blind where he went down and couldn't get the camera to turn back on. I'm pretty bummed out, but better one than none I guess. Had to clean him as it was pushing 70 degreez. Measurements are, and I was way off on a couple things...

R Spur 1.1250
L Spur 1.2500
Beard 11.1250
Weight 26 lb. 5 oz.
Total NWTF score of 72.3125

411OpeningDayGobbler-med.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
I was way off on a couple things...

R Spur 1.1250
L Spur 1.2500
Beard 11.1250
Weight 26 lb. 5 oz.
Total NWTF score of 72.3125

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheesh...can't belive you drug that puny thing home...
busted.gif

Awesome feeling when a plan comes together...congrats on a great hunt and heckuva bird!
waytogo.gif

P.S...pickup batteries...
grin.gif

Top Bottom