Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opening Morning Report!

T

thegeneral

I went out this morning and saw three does. one of them came within about 8 yards before it caught my scent. can't wait for the leaves and temperature to drop!

Thanks for the reports guys!

Raining over here on the western side of the state, not a bad morning though, cold front coming through.

Anyone else make it out?

Just got back in. I saw a doe with her twins at 20 yards. I would have been disappointed if she hadn't shown up this morning. I've seen her out of the same stand with twin fawns nearly every morning I'm in that stand for the past 3 years. Saw another doe on my way out. The BIG "0" on the bucks! Still had a great time!
grin.gif

I went out, had 3 does come in, a little 5 point that could use a few years, so I let them all walk, and Saw a nice 8 pointer just before shooting time, so hopefully I can get him tonite, or maybe tomm morning...he might just sleep in a few minutes...haha, good luck everyone

windy, warm ( 65) and one grinner(possum)
hope that cold fronts coming this way!
good luck,use your belt while on stand.

I went out this evening it must have been around 70 degrees too hot. I had two does one with twins and one with just one. Then the wind started blowing,thunder and lightning came and just when it looked like it was going to clear off down came the rain, i mean heavy rain for about twenty minutes. Then it cleared off iwas soaked and the misquitoes came out in full force I
burst_em8.gif
called it a night at 6:50.

I did not make it out untill this evening around 4:30 but i fugured I had a two plus hours of good hunting time. Unlucky though, i bumped a couple of deer on my way in and on my way out. Did not see anything but a squirel while on the stand. Not the best start in the world but i enjoyed every second of it even with the rain.
Good luck to all.

Sounds like everyone had about the same luck yesterday hot and full of mosquito's. Not much action bumped a deer coming in last night that was about it. I think it was to hot for the big boy's. We will try again tonight.

Warm here to yesterday morning.Sat till about 8 :30 and was just gettin ready to climb down when i seen what i thought was a big doe coming.Since I have a couple doe tags I got ready to shoot when she got there.Turned out to be a 4 point buck.Let him walk at about 15 yrds.Went out last night and the wind switched on me, every deer that came in winded me so i left early, no bucks all does last night.Not a bad opener, seen a lotta deer
smile.gif

Took doe number 1 at 6:45pm last night. Hope to get three more in the park. Saw about 9 does. Took a doe fawn.

Does make nice practice, hopefully get all my foul-ups done with before the big boy comes along when I use my state wide tag in the rural area.

I had a very exciting hunt last night on my parents farm near Winterset. I didn't get into my stand until 5:05pm because I had to drive from Ames. Didn't see anything until 6:00pm, when I saw two deer moving in on my stand about 50 yards away. I thought they were does, but turned out to be an 8pt and a 10pt! Both were small with outside spreads to their ears. When they reached 30 yrds away, the 10pt turned and started sparing with the 8pt. I had already decided not to shoot, so I put my bow down and watched with my binocs. They were not violent at all toward each other, just playing around. It was fun to watch. I believe I saw these same two deer with each other last year in the same spot.

After this happened, I climbed down from my stand and began walking back to the car when I spotted 4 doe in a half picked corn field. I decided to see how close I could get to them by sneaking through the corn. To make a long story short, I ended up 4-5 yards from one of the does! Probably the closest I've ever stalked to a deer.

Well, can't wait till the weekend to go back out!

Top Bottom