Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opinions/advice wanted

Iowabowtech

Well, I'm getting ready to take the plunge into some food plots in '08. Unfortunately, I didn't prepare any areas this fall which after reading a ton of threads in this forum would have made life easier I now realize. But, I'm hoping the experts can work me through some ideas for spring plantings. Currently, I am debating the addition of two different types of plots in various areas...clover (hopefully this spring) and then I was thinking I could plant something this spring in the plots that will be prepared for rye come fall. The areas I will be planting are not large fields but rather several smaller strips perhaps in the realm of 40 yds wide by 200 yds long near timber edges. I realize there will be extra work and $$ for herbicides going the spring planting route but I hunt this ground (quite a large tract) with a small handful of friends and we are sharing the expense and effort to make it more manageable and we'd REALLY like to get it off the ground right away if possible. So...with that said, what advice would you give for the best chance of success with these goals in mind? Am I being too optimistic or foolish thinking the spring plan could work??

Thanks,
Iowabowtech

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could plant something this spring in the plots that will be prepared for rye come fall. </div></div>

I would highly reccomend that route! You can spray this spring or just till and forget the spraying and plant buckwheat (for example) Buckwheat should be planted well after any frosts so late May or very early June.

Buckwheat will help smother weeds and then you till it under in late summer and plant your rye. You have the option of planting clover with the rye or frost seeding it into the rye later that winter.

If you have several small strips then only plant one to clover this fall, another the following fall, etc. etc.

Small areas are best off in grains like rye and oats or legumes like clover and brassicas are another option that can work in small plots.

I would choose a combination of these rotated over time bewteen your plots.

Lots of other possibles such as AWP or Field Peas for instance but they will take a pounding in small plots.

Other ideas anyone? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I wouldn't do anything diffrent than what Paul mentioned. If it is being farmed you also may have the option of buying some crops or buying corn next to these plots for screening to create a secure feeling in the food plots. Assuming these are on field edges.

What is on these strips right now?

Mowing and spraying this spring would kill existing and maybe pop some annuals that were beneficial to deer until the rye goes in this fall. Soil building and green manure as Dbltree suggested would be great and if you are thinking about following rye with clover- I would get soil test and lime down now.

Yes, I agree with Pharmer...your first step regardless of what you plan to seed is to get a soil test.

Many people skip this step and they are throwing money down the drain trying to have a nice plot.

Get the lime on the ground and get your PH as close to 7 as you can.

Frost seeding clover in March works real well, but don't let anyone tell you that you can't work the ground and seed clover in April or May and have success.

Paul (Doubletree) outlined a good plan for you though.

Good luck, the hard work is a lot of fun.

I knew you guys would come through with some great advice.

Pharmer,
Currently, several of the plot areas contain a low growing, low maintenance grass of some sort. Not sure what it is but the deer don't really seem to consume it that much so I thought I could put something more productive there. We currently mow these areas several times a year. I'm HOPING that we can put one plot at the far edge of a large field that was in corn this year. That edge abuts some great timber. The idea is to reserve several rows along this edge in '08 to devote to a plot and I was thinking that might be the place to put the clover? Then there would be a transition from timber edge to about 30-40 yards of clover and then to corn/beans. That still needs to be worked out with the farmer because that particular field is being leased. If I can secure this spot, It would make for a plot that's probably 300+ yards long. Securing this will be my hurdle. I'm afraid that without a decent sized plot here (which is also a central location on the tract), that the large deer herd may decimate the smaller plots. We're going to meet and talk over our options in a week or two and part of that is going to be keeping a positive relationship with the leasing farmer.

Another option, and one of my favorites is to plant soybeans and then in August go in and broadcast the rye into them and let the falling leaves and rain work as mulch to germinate the rye. It really serves as a close to year round plot that I have found. The deer will eat the beans till there leaves change colors, then they will switch to the new fresh rye, when it cold and snowy they will be back into the beans hard and scratch through to the rye also. then when it thaws the rye is the greenest thing around.

I believe Pauls got pics of a plot like this in one of the threads.

Good luck in your plots, there fun and rewarding.

Top Bottom