Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opinions Please

Gus

Here is the scenario:
Shot at a nice mature eight pointer last evening. Shot was at 100 yards with my LHR redemption muzzleloader using a 290 grain Barnes in front of 110 grains of BH powder.

I have shot this muzzleloader somewhere in the realm of 30 times since getting it last February. I know it to be dead nuts on at 100 yards. I am always well with in the Killzone even at 200 yards shooting off of sticks.

I was seated up against a tree shooting off of sticks. Immediately after shot it appeared the deer hunched up as if hit. He ran to the north,my right, and appeared to stop for a moment. I say appeared to stop because there were several other bucks around and in the commotion with deer running through the trees I might have lost track of the one I was shooting at. Anyway I thought I had a good bead on the deer I shot at. After the initial commotion all the bucks seem to settle down trying to figure out what just happened. they had no idea I was even there. I watched for about 20 minutes as they slowly moved off. During that time period, Not too long after my shot I thought I heard breaking branches as if the deer I shot at had crashed. Due to the amount of trees and brush I did not visually see this however. After a bit longer I walked down to the spot the buck was standing when I shot. This is where the sick feeling came over me. Snow completely covers the area I am hunting and not one drop of blood. I followed the path I thought the deer took to search for blood and still nothing. I walk the area of about 50 yd.² for about 10 minutes searching for a sign of some sort of wound. Still nothing.

I will note that the shot was rushed a little bit due to the window I had to shoot the deer in. Although it was rushed a bit I do believe it's still to be an ethical shot that I felt comfortable making considering the distance. Another note worthy point is that I am not completely sure the charge went off like it should have. Immediately after my shot I remember thinking that it did not seem near as loud as it normally does and the over all general feeling after the shot seemed different. Not sure if that makes sense but that is the best way I can describe it. I also know that in the heat of the moment shots in the field are completely different than they are when on the range.

Anyway my question for everyone is have they ever seen a gut shot that produced absolutely no blood. I am thinking that I just completely missed him(and I pray that is the case) but at the same time would be absolutely pissed at myself if I find this deer s carcass later this winter or spring in the bottom of a ravine. Ethically I feel I should comb my hunting area looking for this deer but at the same time I don't want to completey screw up my hunting for the remaining days of the season. With absolutely no sign of blood it makes it even harder to justify stomping through the woods. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes I've seen fat plug even a slug hole. There should be blood where the deer was standing and the bullet hit. I would check where he was standing or walking during impact . Gut shot deer could go for miles if pushed.

Yeah, I think another post was mentioned of no blood because of the bullet/sabot used... I would think it sounds like a gut shot if he was hunched up, and is pry dead. If there is any open water close, look there. I am color blind, so trying to find initial blood is usually worthless for me... I usually go to the last place I saw and start looking from there.. (terrible I know)

Based off what you are saying I would say it is a clean miss if you are absolutely positive there is not a drop of blood within 50 yards of where he was standing. Even when muzzleloaders produce "no blood" there should be a few drops easily seen only when there is snow on the ground.​
I do question if you actually saw the deer hunch up on impact. At that distance if your are following thru with the shot you should really not see anything due to the smoke of the gun.​
As for the gun itself I have found that when shooting at a deer any gun never seems to be as loud nor do you ever notice any kick. You can thank that do adrenaline. When on the range that is a completely different story. For example, a few years back my fiancé shot a turkey with a 3" turkey round with my 12 gauge….. I never let her practice with anything other than 2 ¾" 20 g and yet in the moment the mag load didn’t even phase her.​
All this being said, if there is any question in your mind I do think the right thing to do is to exhaust all efforts to find/look for the deer. Good luck!​

Hunched at the shot usually means gut shot....

If you did miss clean, and the deer were confused after the shot and didn't really know what happened, he'll probably be back out tonight.

I'm of the opinion that he may very well be hit and he should be looked for. Or, if you know which deer it is, sit again for a couple nights to see if he shows. If he does show up, there's your obvious answer. If he doesn't, exhaust all efforts to find him. In my experience with muzzleloaders, finding no blood at or near the impact area means absolutely nothing. I shot a buck 2 years ago, great shot right behind the shoulder where it needed to be. I had the same deal as you, no blood at the impact location. I started following trails (which were everywhere) trying to find blood with no luck. That deer didn't bleed AT ALL for about 100 yards, at which point there were about 10 drops and a dead deer. A gut shot can definitely plug up a hole as well. Also, make sure you know where the impact location was exactly. I've looked for blood before and had no luck until I realized I was about 10-20 yards away from where the deer was actually standing when I shot.
If it was me, I would go look for the deer. If I did decide to go back out hunting, it would be in the same spot and I wouldn't plan to shoot anything else unless I saw that buck alive. Good Luck!

I think you hit him back. The buck I shot and found this year did the same thing....hunched up, then walk/stop. I'd be surprised if you head him crash, unless he is hit that good.

Definitely look for that buck, as he would have no reason to hunch up unless he was hit.

Quite often on a gut shot, the guts will fill the entry hole and very little blood will be found.

If you haven't done so already, might look around for where the bullet hit. I had a similar experience several years ago where the shot did not sound right, I checked the next morning and found where my bullet hit in the snow way low.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. A lot of what has been said has run through my mind as well.

Just a bit ago I went out to shoot my muzzleloader at 100 yards trying to re-create the scenario exactly. It confirmed my gun is dead on. Any shot misplacement would've been do completely to me.

Unfortunately today work will not allow me to go take a look for him. However I have decided tomorrow I'm going to spend the morning doing some stalking to see if I can find a dead body or a live deer. With this cold and the wind forecasted I have a pretty good idea of where they should be bedded down. I'll keep you guys posted

Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. A lot of what has been said has run through my mind as well.

Just a bit ago I went out to shoot my muzzleloader at 100 yards trying to re-create the scenario exactly. It confirmed my gun is dead on. Any shot misplacement would've been do completely to me.

Unfortunately today work will not allow me to go take a look for him. However I have decided tomorrow I'm going to spend the morning doing some stalking to see if I can find a dead body or a live deer. With this cold and the wind forecasted I have a pretty good idea of where they should be bedded down. I'll keep you guys posted

Thanks again.

Just curious if you looked where you heard the crash? The more I think of the situation, you could have hit liver and that can kill a deer pretty quick depending on the shot.

I did search around the area where I I thought he initially stopped. However with absolutely no signs of blood I didn't venture very far from that area for fear of pushing him if he was gut shot. To me it sounded like what I thought might've been him crashing came from close proximity to the area where he stopped.

The more I think about it and the more I hear from you guys the more I want to go take another look. I do have an hour before my 2 o'clock appointment. I'll let you know what turns up.

Usually when they hunch up they are definitely gut shot. I have instances of no blood and actually tracked them before by stomach matter. I have had the guts plug up the entrance wound before. I would probably keep looking. Sucks to be in that situation.

Gut shot a buck in 2006 with a full arrow pass thru. He never ran a single step. Hunched up and walked about 20yds before stopping. Walked very slowly across a field and into a finger. I could see his footsteps as this was a grass field and followed them for 40-50yds that evening and then the next morning. Not a single drop of blood was ever found but I did find the deer about 300yds away. Sounds like a gut shot and with this weather he should be dead by now.

I shot a deer with my bow this year- clean pass through and same situation as jkratz- not a drop of blood- 200 yards later I found my deer Had some fat/intestine blocking the exit hole Keep looking- if you hit him and these temps- he will be dead and still good

So I did sneak out for about 45 minutes to do a little stomping around in the area where I shot him. There are absolutely tons of tracks through this Creekbottom so trying to follow tracks is impossible. Absolutely no sign of blood or any type of stomach matter. Not saying there isn't any because I realize with the wind and snow it can be easily covered up. I think tomorrow I'm going to have to approach the neighbor about doing some searching on his property. This area is near the fence line and it was the direction he was headed last I saw him.

The situation is so aggravating and I am just kicking myself. I know that this is part of hunting but I really want a redo on this one

Top Bottom