Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opinions Please

Sometimes you need to result to other methods of tracking. Look for hair rather than blood when blood isn't present. Don't rule out the small things. I have had to do this because of non existent blood or a plugged wound etc. and had very successful trails of hair. Hair is very easy to see in the snow, but leaves a small window if there are unfavorable weather conditions. Unfortunately, the weather has probably blown or covered up any and all hair trails and/or blood for you. I would start with water now, and too and from water from the last place you saw the deer. Sounds like a possible stomach, paunch, and maybe even a liver hit.

Did you hear the smack of the bullet hitting him? If he hunched up at all, my vote is that he's dead.

I followed sparse blood covered with 2" of new snow for over 600 yards by smearing the snow around with my foot. I'm talking one small drop every 20 feet that was not visible initially, but really stood out when I smeared the snow around. From what the OP said, it really sounds like a gut shot.

I had the exact same thing happen to me last year late muzz. Although I did have a spec of blood every 20 feet or so. He hunched up and hopped about 3 steps. Then slowly walked into the brush, limping just a little. We had snow on the ground, no wind, and no new snow forecast so I let him go overnight. I followed the specs of blood at 10am the next morning for about 100 yards then lost it in a sea of deer tracks along a creek bottom. My wife and I looked for hours and never found anything at all. He was a stud. I am still sick about it. I went back and hunted the same spot 3 days later and still had a ton of deer come to the standing beans but he didn't show. I have to think he died but I don't know where he went. I wish you the best of luck!!

Sorry I am just now sending an update on this, but work blew up on me right at the end of the season so had to concentrate on that. Anyway, the Sunday after the season ended a buddy of mine and I stomped around my property in all the likely (and not so likely) places this buck might have gone to bed down after being shot. I even got permission from the neighbor to check out his property. We found nothing. I was half expecting to find a mutilated carcass the coyotes left behind, but not so much as even a tuft of fur floating around. I have to believe that I ended up just missing this deer cleanly. At least this is my hope. In the next couple weeks when I get a chance to do some shed hunting I will definitely be keeping an eye out.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their insight and experiences. It was helpful whether I found the deer or not.

Top Bottom