Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opinions please

Fishbonker

Life Member
What period of time during the day are the majority of turkeys killed? Sunrise to 1000, 1000-1500, 1500-sunset.

90-5-5? 80-10-10? 70-15-15? Or all the way to 33-33-33?

I think, based on what I have read on IW, that most turkeys are killed between sunrise and 1000. What period of time during the day as listed above do you guys think most turkeys are killed?

Thanks for any opinions shared.

I should have killed one today around 12:30 pm. Just didn't quite work out in my favor. During 4th season especially, my favorite time to hunt them is between 10 am and 2 pm when the hens go to nest and they get lonely.

To answer your question though, I would say between Sunrise and 10 am just because I don't see many vehicles around the roads any of the other times I am out.

Good question!

If I can get in close on the roost odds are high.They aren't always on my ground. Taken more from 8:30 till 1:00. Have to quit at 1:00 PM. Would love to hunt them in the evening.

Oh, about 10:45 this morning.

I will have to check the records when I get home, but I am thinking 85% before 10, 15% midday, and none late in the day.

I grew up in MO where we could only hunt till 1pm, but I would say 75% of mine were killed before 10am. Two of my last three were in the mid to late afternoon though. This year I also had birds gobbling and responding to calls in two different spots in one evening. Probably a skewed number overall, cuz most guys only hunt till mid morning, so that's obviously when they're gonna kill em if they do.

I've killed them in all the time frames mentioned but a majority of them have been daylight-10am. I went back and looked at the time stamps on my harvest photos and it appears 8:30-9:30am has been my most successful hour.

Probably 90% of mine through the years have been killed between 10:00 and 2:00. Of course that may not be too scientific because where I hunt it's almost impossible to get set up on them while they are in the roost, so I don't hunt early mornings.
I usually don't hunt evenings because it makes it tough for photos but both my birds this year were shot at 7:30.

I would say over 50% of the ones i have taken have been between sunrise and 10.
40% from 10 to 2
and
10% from 2 to dark.

Here are the numbers for each hour for me:
6 - 6
7 - 5
8 - 7
9 - 5
10 - 3
11 - 3
12 - 2

I rarely hunt afternoon/evening.

Back to the original post:
sunrise to 10 - 23 = 74%
10am to 3pm - 8 = 26 %
3pm to sunset - 0 = 0%

I've killed just as many birds coming back to roost at night than I have coming off the roost in the mornings! I have a nice field they always seem to come out and feed before heading into roost! Alot of people I know won't hunt at night but it seems to be 50/50 for me!

Top Bottom