Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

OUCH! You ever see something like this?

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
OUCH! You ever see something like this? (UPDATED @ bottom)

So I've been watching a monster 10 point feed by my house on a regular basis, but it's in the city limits and nobody can hunt him. Obviously, even though I can't hunt them, I still really enjoy watching them.

Late last week I set out in an attempt to get some good footage of the beast of a 10, however, by the time I had arrived to the location I was going to film from, he was already in the field. I couldn't believe it, as there was still 2 hours of light left.

20121126_163420.jpg

While I was watching the giant, I caught movement directly to my right. Immediately I noticed that it was a good buck, but a quick look later and I couldn't believe my eyes. This guy had a serious issues going on;

20121128_220020.jpg

His right antler was broken, and hanging from his head. I couldn't tell for sure what it was hanging on by (part of the skull plate or skin?), but I could tell that it wasn't comfortable for him. I managed to get some really good video of him at around 60 yards. I was hoping that the antler was going to fall off while I was filming him, as that would've been very unique footage plus I could've had my first 'shed' of the year :D

If you're interested, here is the footage; OUCH! Buck With Broken Rack

Any idea on if this deer will survive this type of injury? Do you think it was caused from fighting, getting hit by a car, or something else? Just wondering because I've personally never seen something like this.

Last edited:
My dad shot a buck several years ago that had something similar. However it wasn't hanging like that. On his the skull was broken and the buck was REALLY sick. He shot him laying on the ice of a pond. If that is the case with your deer, I would guess he won't make it... but who knows. Dad's deer was in bad shape when he shot him though.

Man that hurts just looking at it! I feel bad for that deer, he is going to have a rough winter.

Definitely a chunk of face fur holding that thing on. I'd hate to see how much would come off if he had to run hard.

If this winter weather keeps up, he may have it pretty easy.

Amazing how tough they are. I've seen them survive worse injuries than this but you just never know. It does look like it's hanging by a chunk of skin.

I wonder if he didn't get hit by a car. I didn't see him limpin but all the traffic there might be a good bet he got dumped.

I wonder if he didn't get hit by a car. I didn't see him limpin but all the traffic there might be a good bet he got dumped.

I was thinking the same thing, but also noticed that he wasn't limping at all. The traffic you can hear in the background is the interstate, so if he would've gotten hit there I think he would've been pretty much done for. There are some side streets though not too far away with low speed limits of 25mph.

Could have easily been a close call with a car that wound up with him getting clipped by a mirror or something?

MONSTER bucks though... WOW.

Steve

Pretty crazy. Looks like its just hanging off by some skin. Looks like there might be a white spot in front of his ear that could be his skull. Tough to see though. I bet it got clipped by a car mirror or something. He appears to be healthy besides that and I think he should make it. If he does I wonder how that antler will grow back next year.

If that antler is attached to some furr and is already detatched from the skull area...think it will stay there for awhile? I'm sure eventually he will get sick of it enough to just pry it off somehow even if it hurts like a son of a gun. He would sure look funny next year to see his normal rack with one side still dangling from a piece of his hide!

Dang!!! Problem is whether or not infection gets into his brain. Dont think it would be fatal, but could easily affect his eyesight and other senses making him defenseless if he were to get infected. Probably wont be rubbing too many trees for a while though.

OUCH OUCH OUCH! That isn't an extremely light weight antler either. Constant pressure on that skin would suck!

Looks like it is hanging from the skin and will likely fall off in 3-5 days. Sad part is, it looks like it took horn base & all with it so even if he lives (probably), he will very likely not grow a right side ever again.

Top Bottom