Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Out of State Turkey Trips

hcsafari

Just curious as to what other state some of you have pursued turkeys in?

I have been fortunate enough to hunt and harvest turkeys in:

Iowa, Arkansas, Mississippi, North Dakota and Texas.

I am looking at a possible trip to do a combo hunt on public land in South Dakota and Wyoming this upcoming season. Would be great to hear if any of you have hunted in those states.

I have'nt decided whether or not I am going put in for Iowa this year or not. I always complain about the high fees, but end up putting in anyway because it's a double bonus - I get to hunt some magnificient turkeys and I get to do it in some great company. Looks like I have about 4 days to decide.

Looking forward to hearing about some of the places you guys have hunted and your thoughts on the hunts.

#1. I will state I am personally embarassed by the NR fees on turkeys. Too steep in my opinion which is why there are tags left every year.

With that said to answer your question...Oklahoma, South Dakota, Kansas, Nebraska.

I have hunted turkeys in South Dakota and Wyoming, been a while though. I use to live in Sundance Wyoming. A lot of excellent Black Hills public property around there. Also hunted in the Spearfish South Dakota area with a friend of mine a couple of times, there lots of birds there. Both areas are big country, with many uneducated turkeys. Good luck.

This is the sort of post that makes me want to cry...but only for another year until my wife completes her advanced degree and can afford to send me to all the aforementioned states!!

muddy,
I can tell you that you can go to a couple of those states on what you would normally spend in a weekend. It is not expensive. But, that is provided you can find someone to go with you...
grin.gif

Muddy - The place I really enjoyed was North Dakota. We went on and Indian Reservation (which is the only way a NR can hutn ND) and it only cost $88.00 and that fee allows you (2) gobblers. The hunts I am considering this year in South Dakota and Wyoming combined won't be as much as one turkey in Iowa. Iowa is big-time overpriced on turkeys comnparitavely speaking. There are many places to go that have just as good or better turkey hunting at a far cheaper price.

AAAHHH... Good ole Black Hills, South Dakota. Would love to go back and chase them Merriams again.
496MVC-003F-med.JPG

496MVC-017F-med.JPG

Great looking pictures Jethro. Congrats on a real trophy. Defenitely looks like a place I would like to "set-down" to a gobbling merriam.

Bleow are some pics of my Rio for m Texas. I had visions of my hunt prior to going, but it was nothing like I had heard of or thought it would be - this was some rough country. The pictures don't really do it justice.
46ae5a29.jpg

9a27d81c.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

I had visions of my hunt prior to going, but it was nothing like I had heard of or thought it would be - this was some rough country. The pictures don't really do it justice.

[/ QUOTE ]
hc, I couldn't agree with you more. Even with all the planning and preparation i did for this trip it was like nothing that i had imagined. Not that it was bad, it was one of the best and most rewarding hunting experiences i have ever had but it was tough. I went out there with no more info than what other people had told me (Thanks Limbchicken) and what i had read. So as i'm sure you already know it was quite a humbling feeling the first morning standing on top of that ridge as the sun came up looking out over one million plus acres of Black Hills. It was breath taking both scenery wise and physically. Would i do it again though? Absolutley.

I am currently planning on going on a spring turkey hunt in Alabama on March 15, with two of my friends. I know a private land owner down there that has gave me permission to hunt his land. I'll let all of you know how it goes. I think the price of a 3-day tag is only $75 also, so a cheap price, and plenty of fun.

-sureshot1

Good Luck Sureshot1 - I have a few friends from down here that hunt AL and they generally do well. It's loaded iwth turkeys. Be little different then your used to in Iowa though. Most of the SE has big expanses of woodlands. The place I kill most of my turkeys here in is about 60,000 of nothing but bottomland hardwoods and swamps.

Well, ya'll wish me luck. We are sending in our turkey applications for Wyoming on Monday. My buddy from Council Bluffs has an uncle who lives in Wy and he has locked down some private land for us to hunt up near Sheridan, WY (not that I have a clue where the heck that is).

I have another buddy in North Dakota ( we did the hunt on the reservation) and he is going to meet us when we leave Wyoming headed for the Black Hills of SD.

Any help on where and when to go to SD would be greatly appreciated.

With all of this going on I decided not to put in quite yet for my Iowa tag this year. The zone I apply for has'nt filled a quota in the last 3 years (wonder why? - surely it's not the outrageous price) so I feel pretty confindent should I decide to put in I can do it after the deadline.

I have been lucky enough to take gobblers in New York, Iowa, Oklahoma and Missouri. When I get the oppurtunity I'll hunt all those places again.

Top Bottom