Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Out-state hunters?

S

SCBowhunter

I know this is a sore subject in the mid-west lately with outfitters leasing vast amounts of properties. But I have always wanted to hunt in the farm country of the mid-west.

I live in SC and our hunting is managed more for quantity than quality. We have unlimited bucks with rifles from Aug. 15 thru Jan. 1 plus baiting and dog hunting is legal in the half the state. We only have two deer entered in B&C. I would guess over 80% of our 1 1/2 yo bucks are taken every season. Our soil is poor compared to that of the mid west so even the few mature deer we have do not reach the size of most mid-west deer.

Having said that I'm planning Iowa hunt as soon as I can draw a tag. I plan to hunt public land only, doubt I could get permisson in a week period. Hunting with an outfitter is just not for me, and that's not even considering the cost. If I spend $3000+ for a trip I would take a cruise with my wife, or take the whole family to Disney.
Plus I not sure that outfitting is good for our sport, some are some aren't, but I would love to make a living at what I love, if it did not turn into a job. But anyway I just don't care for a guided whitetail hunt.

I'm very aware of the problems that some out-of-state guys can cause. We have several doctor,lawyers,exec,etc. that come in an lease more land than they ever could hunt let alone effectively manage. I just hope to come hunt on public land for one week in the fall, and along weekend in the spring. Spend a few dollars at a hotel and restaurants and just see at least one P&Y class deer. I have bowhunted in SC for 15 years and only seen one! But of course 125pt will get you in the SC record book.

Most hunting articles and books are read geared toward hunting the mid west. I guess that helps drive my desire to hunt out there. Plus we have no exiting farms in the county I live in, excluding a few cattle farms. Pine trees are the major cash crop in SC now.

Any advice that you can give would be appreciate. I'm kind of methodical about hunting and like to research as much as I can. I hope to come out in the spring the spring before I hunt. So I have a lot to learn, I hear the corn being cut is a major influence and the rut is typically very eventful. (here our does are breed from late sept. to early jan., so we have no define rut.) I use a climber a lot, but from what I have seen you guys have very few trees suitable for climbing. I shoot a compound now for hunting but I'm working on the transition to a recurve. I hope to be converted before I make the trip.

So here's the one major question, what about the public land? Is it pressured bad, are most of the hunters courtesy? is it farmed also?

So do we have any takers? SC DNR has a board and several of the members would respond to keep your !@#$ in your own state, but some are helpful.

I would offer an trade a hunt, but I could not see for the life of me why anyone from Iowa would want to hunt in SC, unless you like to hunt turkeys, that is one plus to our state. We are home of NTWF!

I look forward to reading and learning from this forum. The photo gallery under "Timing is Everything" is amazing.

Thanks in an advance and good hunting.

[email protected]

The public land in Iowa isn't hunted extensively, maybe in the easy to get to areas. I hunt in public land and will continue to do so as long as I'm seeing an occaisional "Mossy Horn". All the people I meet on the paths are respectful because most of us realize we are on public land. By the way, in Iowa the laws actually allow me to crawl up into another persons stand and use it. If the owner shows up he has to let me use it. I never would nor have I seen it happen.

The first thing you could do is get ahold the IA DNR and get a copy of all the public hunting areas, then compare that to the bucks taken in what areas and narrow your search down, if big bucks is what you want to see.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

If you draw a tag for my area....zone 9..I think,e-mail me and I'll hook you up with private or good public. No big deal around here.Hope you get a tag sometime.
smile.gif

Hey I just got back from the great state of south carolina, nice place. good luck on your tag draw, let us know when and where your tag is for I'm sure someone would help you out on some hunting land I know I would.
Good luck and happy hunting

I would be glad to give you a hand too. Lots of public ground right around here . Im in the Loess hills North of Sioux City. I mainly hunt private ground but I am convinced the tough to access public ground is just as good. Heck I even got a camper ya could shack up in save some money on the hotel. Im less than 10 minutes drive from several good public spots (5 ridge, and deer creek, ) anyway most guys are willing to help out. I would try a zone in the loess hills its just a different class of deer. Neighbor arrowed one a few weeks back that dressed over 250 and I have been seeing several nice deer as well just havent got the shot off yet.

My question is about what zone to request a tag for.I have family in the Iowa city area and a family farm to hunt on near there,plus some public land as well.So you can hunt only in the area you draw a tag for?As the southern hunter said,its quite overwhelming to try to put together a hunt when your so far away and with few resources to rely upon except fellow hunters in that state.All help is appreciated and welcome,my relatives there have no intrest in hunting so its a place to stay and then on my own,Thanks Daniel

I am in Central Iowa, and as well would be glad to help you find places, private and public. I'm not sure what zone I'm in, but the deer hunting is very good as well here. In the last 10 days I have seen at least 5 P and Y deer. Your best bet for BIG deer is the Western Iowa Loess hills or Southeast Iowa. But I think you can get a shot at a nice one anywhere in the state. The absolute best time to come is the first or sesond week of November, the rut rules and most of the crop will be out.

Let me know if I can help!

[email protected]

Thanks for the input guys, I can apply for any unit a prefer next year.

That's what I'm looking for the best areas with regards to public. I have been told that a lot of the public land farmed just like the private.

I want to come out in the spring and scout. If I do not draw a tag, I may try to come out and hunt on an antlerless tag. Not quite as exciting as hunting bucks but it would be a good learning experience for the following season. Doing this would give me two chances to get out before I seriously get hunt.

I'm just looking for any help that will shorten the learning curve. I will only have a week hunt and a long weekend to scout.

[email protected]

Top Bottom