Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"outfitter" woes south of the border

An interesting thing happened to a friend of mine who came in with his son to hunt on privated land in northern Missouri this past weekend. Oh, by the way, it was the opening weekend of the Missouri firearms deer season.
They had secured permission to hunt a farm, and went there in the afternoon with signed permission slips in hand. A man and a woman who were "filming" her hunt tried to run them off, claiming they had leased the ground through an outfitter. The outfitter was Thunder-something (not sure) from Iowa.

An un-pleasant encounter later ensued, involving the landowner, his guests, and the guide with his clients. The landowner had NOT leased his land and removed the trespassers. My friend was able to hunt and kill a nice buck. The female hunter did later check a big buck and photos of it are posted at the Country Corners Store in Grant City, the Worth Couty check station. She is from Michigan and the hunt was supposedly filmed for an Outdoor Channel TV show. I have no idea where she killed it and have no knowlege that she did anything illegal or unethical.

I did want to post the story about the "outfitter" and wanted to let folks be reminded of the old saying "buyer beware".
Good Hunting,

MO-ANTLERTIPS

Fatboy, I hunt on a couple different farms in Worth County. One is between the check station and the Iowa line. I only have antlerless tags left and will probably not go back out during "orange week". I will be back out after another antlered deer with my last bow tag. Good luck hunting...
MO-Antlertips

Hey Mo,
Can you give me the name of that outfitter out of Iowa that you hunt with. I here he is very reputable and has killed a few quality bucks himself. I here he just purchased some ground in Taylor Co. Iowa.
I here he is real cheap. As a matter of fact the only thing you have to worry about with him is that he usually books hunts when the temperatures fall below zero! HA! Hope you get a big one during the rifle season.
Saw a 160-170 class on my ground tuesday night. Stayed on the edge of the timber and would not come out into the field. Darkness was my enemy. Stay safe!

Hey Tpr...long time no speak. I think the name of that outfitter is 2010's Quality Guide Service. They aim to please! The only thing they have no control over is the amount of snow and the thermometer! Other than that, it is a top-knotch operation, almost as good as your Missouri turkey hunting guide! I have the first weekend of December off, would love to come up and run the video camera! If there is snow on the ground, I'd recomend a cell phone and a shovel...

MO.do you hunt in worth county?I have a lot of family in grant city and hunt land just noth of the check station,but have not been there in a few years.Will be leaving for mt.ayr thursday morn.just north of there in ia.to finish my vac.to bow hunt.

Top Bottom