Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Outfitters leasing

Well said Iowa1, I think I understand all sides as well. A sad fact of hunting life. I too started very young with a BB gun.

This is sure to fire things up. I know several farmers and they are friends. What gets me sometimes is how much money farmers are given...yes given..by the state or federal government. Buffer strips, CRP, crop payments etc. We all know that's my and your tax money, but some are sure quick to not let anyone hunt.

The federal government bends over backwards for farmers...but screw the downtown businesses when Walmart comes knocking.

All,

It is ,was my intent to provoke discussion on this very volitile issue. I consider thatto have been a big success. I am quite sure that I do not have an answer that will satisfy everybody let alone a majority. I do believe strongly that each and every one of those of us who live to hunt and who have a desire to preserve those opportunities for future generations have to be actively involved in the process. Nothing good can come from griping that a piece of land got away from him because he just wants things to stay the way they were.

As I have said before, I have a lot of reservations with having the Iowa Department of Natural Resources manage any more public land, I still believe that is the only way to preserve that land for future generations. I believe that we have to do whatever it takes to fund massive acquisition of land for public use for maximum use by all outdoors people. In my view it should not be altered unnaturally,ie flooding land that was not flooded since man walked erect.

This has gotten long, but I believe all of the well intentioned replies are valuable and we should work to a goal we can agree on.

Hunt Iowa,
I haven't the foggiest idea of where you are coming from. There is no way we will ever come remotely close to stemming the tide of outfitters and land leasing by relying on the government to purchase land, especially at today's land prices. How do you suppose we go about it? Tack on another 25 dollars to the price of tags. And let's say that happened, 75% of that money would be squandered or lost in the inefficiency of government run programs. So if you want to rely on more public land, why don't you start it off by letting all of us hunt your land?

Well rescuebill, It sounds like to me that you should go into farming and get all that free money. There is plenty of farm ground for sale. Make sure that you buy the real marginal stuff. Its not great for farming but it sure is good hunting. We'll see how long you last at it. It's got to be easy with all that government help.

Hunt Iowa I am just curious as to why you have reservations about the DNR managing our public lands. Also are you aware that due to declining revenue projections for the coming year that the state legislature gave nearly nothing to the DNR budget. The DNR is at the mercy of our state legislatures who sometimes feel that they know how to manage better the DNR than themselves. There having a hard enough time managing the state and the budget let alone the DNR. Let the DNR do their jobs and get the funding they need to do it. Most of our managers, biologists, and wardens have a passion for what they do and spend countless hours trying to change things for the better. We currently have a warden Doug Clayton who contributes to this conference and always has valuable information and suggestions for those who have questions. Its not to say that we agree with everything that is done but yet we need to support those who really have our best interests in mind.

When I said I had reservations with IDNR management, I would also add that I have similar reservations with our legislators.

Regarding the IDNR. The PROFESSIONAL managers have: Built the Brushy Creek Lake which has been advertised as the BEST quality water in the state and have with the legislatures complicity destroyed habitat that cannot be reconstructed in our lifetimes. The two have built a lake that cannot be swam in because of fecal bacteria levels. The lake has been filled some 4 years. Fishing is pretty good, but the water is polluted by runoff from sources unknown or admitted to. Whatever the source is, it is no different than it was before the lake was built. ( farmers and towns are the same as prelake). I am not a POFESSIONAL I can drive to Fort Dodge and see water that by
all appearances IS the prettiest water in the state and has very little runoff from either towns or farmland. The IDNR and legislature have cooperated to create a monster called destination parks and have FOUND funding to launch two such projects. One at Brushy Creek and one at Rathbun Lake. Inexcusable from my perspective.

My next example will concern PROFESSIONAL management of the pheasants in Iowa at a later date.

I am willing and desire to show these examples and discuss them face to face with anyone who can find the time to drive to Fort Dodge and see firsthand what I am describing. Cordiallyu.

Bill

I can also see this issue from all sides. For the last 5 years I have hunted public land almost exclusively. I also work as a guide for an outfitter. I also have a B.S. in WIldlife Biology. Our larger tracts of public land are not hunted as hard as some may think, as I have seen and harvested three 120-140" animals in those years. As a guide we have purposely harvested does on our lands to both help the farmer and the herd. As a biologist, I agree that government is a confusing mess that won't soon be fixed. I also agree that Iowa has some of the finest natural resources in the US and if managed correctly, there would be more than enough for all to enjoy, be it through private or public lands. I attended the Southeast Deer Study Group National Convention in St. Louis last February, and noticed the lack of participation from Iowa Biologists. We need to have specific people monitoring and managing specific species within our state. Instead we have department heads who watch specific species, and enforcement people who are asked to cover all the bases at once. I am starting to ramble and I don't think I'm going to come up with any answers while I sit here, but together the concerned members of this site could collectively come up with some insightfull ideas. We need to keep talking about problems such as these and then follow through by contacting the people that can help make a difference, Congressmen, Senators, etc. We control our own fate.

I am with Swanny, if land owners receive dollars in hopes of making it to the next year they should have to open those ground to the people that money is coming from. I dont mind paying taxes to keep bread at a buck a loaf, but I do not believe these folk are looking for a free ride, so what is it going to be. Looks like the current system of subsidies is a little like double dipping. If we pay taxes to build a road we get to drive on it, I dont think the average hunter would mind a fair toll gate either.

2 cents
Shafty

I've got a solution based on all this talk. With all the landowner connections I have in the hills I think I'll start my own pay-per-view outfitter business. I suppose I should gety my piece of the pie while the gettin' is good.
Just kiddin folks. Seriuosly though as deer hunters we are our worst enemy now. Since everyone seems to think they have to fill out their B&C score card how can we not expect the outfitters to run amuck? Ego's and big dollars usually flock together. That's what the score card is all about. Mines Bigger than yours.

Thank you Ogz for at least one reply that made sense. As for you HUNT IOWA, you are contradicting yourself left and right and I fail to figure out what you are talking about. I'm not sure at times you even know.
Instead of extracting individual examples of management failures we need to look at the big picture and do OUR part as sportsmen to preserve and protect. It's that simple

I won't be so sarcastic this time but I can't see how one would think that they have a right to hunt a farmers ground because they pay taxes. My tax dollars go to a ton of things that I won't directly benifit from. Heck, I pay into social security every week and probably will never see a dime of that and that is supposed to be for me! I will agree that it sucks to lose your honey hole. I feel for anyone that it has happened to. It's happened to me. Hillwalker hit the nail on the head. We are our own worst enemy.

I to agree with you Ogz. There may have been no money for out of state travel for the biologist to attend the session in St. Louis. We need to get behind the issues and raise awareness of the problems we face with the management of our state lands. We need to start putting pressure on our legislatures to do something rather than nothing. Not to sound to harsh but the idea that because we pay taxes and farmers get subsidys from the goverment should entitle us to hunt their land is about the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. Sure is a bright way to keep them on our side regarding conservation issues and hunting their land by telling them we should be entitled to hunt it because they get assistance to stay ahead of the game and grow the crops that fuel this nation.!!!
The topic that started this forum regarding outfitter leasing initiated some interesting conversation. I beleive outfitters will come and go and so will some of us. If you beleive their is a problem with issues that arise, do something about it!. Contact your legislature, go to the capital and talk to them as a group, be pro active instead of negative. If you don't then you are the problem. Is it just me or is this topic getting alittle old. Let's talk about a real passionate issue. Oct 1, 2001. "Deer Hunting" Let's talk about the big ones that got away or the big ones were seeing! Yea!

we need something like this!
http://www.mndeerhunters.com/

hows the corn look over your way?
tongue.gif

cd

If a person has the chance to lease the ground or not hunt what are they to do?? Pay up or shut up!!

[This message has been edited by Iowa (edited 08-30-2001).]

If thats the way you want it then all that will be left is the corporate suits that think thay can get anything with some cash,including a set of antlers in there office.What to be said about the locals that want to keep hunting in the family as a tradition not a money game.Yes I can shut up and let more of this happen but wee will see
what this does for hunting in the future.More everyday people will drop out and not fight the power that some people think thay can get with there cash.

I'm responding to Corn Dogs reference to the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association. I am originally from Minnesota and have been a member of the MDHA for the last 9 years. This organization has done alot of great things for deer hunting in Minnesota. I think Iowa would benefit from a group like this. It brings together all deer hunters, not just bowhunters, to improve and protect the deer herd and hunting rights.

I know of a nationally known wildlife artist currently living and profiting in Iowa. (And I am almost positive many of you have seen his work) Right now he is in New Mexico hunting on Ted Turner's ranch...you don't think he is bringing in and attracting the BIG WIGS to our state, which in turn directly adds to the leasing of large tracts of land and high-fence ranches. If you don't, you are wrong. You buy this type of art or purchse those exciting deer videos...you directly add to more purchasing profits for large tracts of land...look at Monroe County....this county may as well be in Texas!!!

Hey "Iowa",

Real nice attitude. You're just the type of hunter this state needs. If you think this post reeks of sarcasm, you're already smarter than I thought. Go hunt in Nebraska or something.

Top Bottom