Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Outsmarted

sego60

Hey I wanted your guys opinion on something. Last weekend I was hunting a stand that I just hung the day before. The stand is on a fenceline between timber and a big crp field. At about 7:30 i seen two does behind me in the timber and they moved out into a hayfield about 20 yards away. At 8am I decided I was goin to blow on my grunt call and see if there was any buck in the area. I blew on the call once and a big buck jumped up from his bed in the crp about 450 yrds out. I blew again and he came in running. He got to about 30 yards and I drew back my bow because he was behind a brush pile. He walked to about 25 yards and was behind a tree so I had no shot. I noticed a doe out of the corner of my eye coming in from the other side so I looked over at her for a split second at her and when I looked back the buck was gone. I was just wondering what this buck could have done. I know he couldnt have ran away cause I would have seen him. So I was wondering what would be the best thing to try and get him back into bow range. I was also thinking about pheasant hunting the crp. I know this buck beds in here so should i hold off on the pheasant hunting? What are your guys opinions?

If you didn't scare the buck away, there should be no reason he would not come back. In my opinion, I wouldn't dare step foot in there to do some pheasant hunting and risk bumping him from a potential comfort area. But I also don't do much bird hunting.

Top Bottom