Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Overseeding

hayseed

Ok fellas, I'm planting buckwheat in a new plot as a soilbuilder and just cause the deer like it. I know it will die off with the first frost but was wondering if I could overseed winter wheat and rye in it after it gets maybe 8-12 inches high. If not, any suggestions?

That's something I've never tried because for best "soil building" results, buckwheat should be plowed under or tilled into the soil while still green. Then sow the rye or wheat the first of September. If the buckwheat is not to thick overseeding might work. If you try it, let us know if it works out or not
grin.gif

I had planned on turning the ground over in the spring and planting a perennial. Figured that I could just keep a food source available by starting the WW before the frost kills off the BW. Bad idea?

[ QUOTE ]
I had planned on turning the ground over in the spring and planting a perennial. Figured that I could just keep a food source available by starting the WW before the frost kills off the BW. Bad idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a great idea just can't say if overseeding the WW into buckwheat will work? Only one way to find out!
waytogo.gif

No experience with BW but I have heard it is an incredible "reseeder" so if it goes to seed, you'll either have to kill it or till it next spring.

Top Bottom