Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Owen first buck / story and picts. added

Central Iowa

Life Member
My son shot his first buck Sunday night it was a moment I will never forget. Later tonight when he is home from school I will type the hunt in his words. At age 7 he is light years ahead of where I was at age 20. It is a good story come back and check it out and more pictures. I couldn't be prouder and had to get a picture up.

Owens First Buck as told by Owen and typed by dad.

We left home Saturday afternoon and we went to the farm then we got ready to leave and go to the blind after we took a shower and put our hunting clothes on and got my gun ready. We went to a blind on a patch of clover. We didn't have a good sit we seen two does one fed in the beans and the other in the clover as it got dark. I wanted to shoot the furthest and biggest doe but it was to far to shoot because dad says I can only shoot 75 yards. The other doe came through the clover but it was to late to shoot but I could see her in the scope. We let her leave the field and snuck out and went to the cabin. We got our bedding ready and made supper. We the watched Scooby Do and a hunting video and went to bed. We slept in Sunday morning and we worked around the cabin. My dad found a stick for me to whittle with my first knife (dad made him where gloves) it was the first time I made an arrow it was fun. The we got ready to go hunting. We then went to another blind with rye, turnips, beans and corn all the way around us. I wanted to shoot a doe but as I got ready it ran into the corn the same thing happened to me the first weekend. I looked out a back window and I seen an 8 pointer it was in the corn and then it went to the edge of the corn and started eating probably rape or forage radish in the turnips. I had to kneel on a stool and got ready looking out the window of the door of the blind. The deer was slanted away ( translation: quartered away) I knew I had to aim farther back because the deer was slanted. I put the scope where I thought and I shot. I then watched it run into the corn a few yards farther and watched the corn go flying and I could not see the deer because it fell. I was so excited and my heart was pounding and I was breathing so hard my dad was was so impressed and happy. Then I spotted another buck it was a drop tine buck I couldn't shoot it because I already shot the 8 pointer I was so happy still. We had seen the drop tine buck the first weekend in another field. We watched the drop tine buck and we took pictures of it. the drop tine buck did not run away for a long time but it smelled my dead buck and ran two does ran to. We then got ready to find my deer I seen blood on the corn and tracked it I looked forward and sideways and it was there laying in the middle of the corn. It's antler was stuck under the root of a corn stalk my dad had to help me get it unstuck. It was heavy to pick up but I was so excited that I was able to pick the head up. We then took pictures and I got tired of my dad taking pictures and the head was getting so heavy. We then got the tractor to lift it up because it was so heavy. We then brought it up and loaded it up and went home. My dad is going to have it mounted because it is my first buck. It will go next to my boar head.

1078-owen_first_buck_2011.jpg

1078-ow_buck_2011.jpg

Mid July trail cam picture

1078-owens_buck_july_2011.jpg

Drop tine buck to look forward to

1078-d-r_2011_b_sized.jpg

Last edited:
Owen!! Great job little buddy!:way:

Trenton says: "Nice buck! That will be a great buck on the wall!"

Top Bottom