Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Owenator scores on a good tom

Central Iowa

Life Member
My son Owen was able to score on a a good bird Sunday afternoon. We decided to sleep in and go late morning and stick it out for the day. It paid off after getting to the blind at 11:00 it felt nice to be out it was perfect weather but a little windy we were in a wind protected bottom field so it felt right. The naps started and I think we all were going in and out of consciousness when I looked to the left and 50 yards away was a Tom at full strut and another milling around. He gave them a few clucks and they came in investigating. Owen was trying to get on the biggest and he was shaking badly with excitement. The turkeys kept moving and Owen couldn't get a still shot and they moved out of range. I looked out the blind to our right and there were 3 Toms strutting and around a dozen hens at 100 yards moving our way. They hung up at 55 yards and the hens went into the woods and the Toms stayed out strutting. It was a great show and Owen had two chances at a Jake and decided to let him go. After about 45 minutes they all came back out into the field and we got to watch the dominant Tom breed a hen. By now the hens and Jake were all around us and the dominant bird started coming to us, he went into strut at 32 yards and Owen let him have it dropping him with his little Mossberg 510 mini 20 gauge. My dad was with us and we let out quite a bit of excitement after the shot as we celebrated.
It was a nice bird it weighed 25# had a 9 12/16" beard and 14/16" spurs. I am not a turkey guy (getting there though) but love watching when Owen is hunting them and the funny thing is there was a much bigger bird that stayed back off this one and his buddy at around another 40 yards the whole time. Guess it's just like deer and people that big doesn't always mean your the toughest or meanest. When I get the video clips put together I will post it up. Congrats son, again you make me proud nothing better than spending time in the blind and woods together!
1078-1_266377.jpg

1078-2_456641.jpg

1078-3_257060.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats, sounds like a lot of fun. Great to see some of the young hunters having some success.

Cool stuff right there, tell the owenator congrats and great pics to go along with a cool story

Kratz

Top Bottom