Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Packaging deer meat

I am thinking about processing and packaging my own deer this year. I was looking on Cabelas website at processing equipment. My question is when you wrap your roasts, steaks and other cuts in freezer paper do you wrap the meat in plastic first like the locker does or do you just use freezer paper?

There website did not have any plastic like the locker uses. If you do use plastic first where can a person buy some?

If I was looking for some and couldn't find any I would try to buy a box of it from a local locker or local grocery store with a meat department

I read this from a Butcher site. Best wrap,,,plastic wrap,,then foil wrap. I have been wrapping my deer cuts this way for years. Never a problem!

I've done mine the last few years with regular plastic/saran wrap u by at the store. Wrapped tight in the plastic then butcher paper. Works pretty well. I got a food saver last year for Christmas and that thing works wonders. Dome it both ways and they both keep well. Foodsaver a little better just due to the vac seal.

IF I was going to wrap meat I would do plastic first, then paper. Sam's has huge plastic rolls that will last a lotta deer. That said, I'm a huge fan of vacuum packing! Have done that for many years and it IS well worth the initial expense of the vacuum unit. I've found packages in my freezers that were 2 or 3 years old and still in great shape. All other methods are second, third & fourth place at best.

I might consider vacuum sealing. Which ones do you recommend. If I bought one i would want it to be a quality one that would last and not a cheap one.

I process my own- vacuum seal everything and just used the last package today from last year. Works great!

Mine is the food saver game saver

I have bought plastic and paper from fareway. One role of plastic has been in use for more than ten years, doing between 4 and 7 deer a season. In the same time frame I believe I am on my third role of paper.

I have bought plastic and paper from fareway. One role of plastic has been in use for more than ten years, doing between 4 and 7 deer a season. In the same time frame I believe I am on my third role of paper.

This is what I do. The meat counter has it, but can't remember what it costs.

Yep,,,Saran wrap, then foil. Foil is easier to handle than freezer paper. Use the heavy duty type foil too. Less tears.

I have read some comments that some vacuum sealers get hot and then don't seal very well. How does the food saver do when packaging say one or two deer?

I have read some comments that some vacuum sealers get hot and then don't seal very well. How does the food saver do when packaging say one or two deer?

I had that issue with the cheap version- moved up in price/quality and haven't had that issue. Also vacuum seal all my walleye and ocean fish from trips- works perfectly

Top Bottom