Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Painting a jon boat???

Just wondering if any of you guys on here have ever painted a jon boat and what steps you took in doing it?? I painted one a couple years ago and the paint fell off in no time just wondering if there is a certain paint, or primer that must go on first so it sticks well? I bought a cheap 10' flat bottom and its in need of a paint job BAD!!! Thanks for any advice!!!:way:

I've painted a few...

If you're painting on to bare metal you need to start with a light dusting of self etching primer. Just about anything should stick to that.

If you're covering up an old paint job you need to sand the crap out of it to make sure 1. that you take up any weak spots and 2. create more surface area for the following coats to stick. Then use a good primer and paint. A couple coats of each.

I would stay away from rattle cans unless it's self etching primer. You would be suprised how many of those you'll go through and it's not very cost-effective. If you want it to turn out pretty look into Rustoleum Professional and thin it about 10-15% with Penetrol, both available at lowes. It sprays on easily but if you don't have a gun do a little bit of research on the "roll and tip" method. It's foolproof and will give you a professional looking finish. I'd also recommend wet sanding between coats. Good luck!

I power washed my 16ft jon boat with a high temp/high pressure washer. I then sanded every inch of it by hand and then use a tac-cloth to wipe it down. I used a high grade Aervoe paint and added hardener. Sprayed on two coats and it has been holding up great! :way:

Top Bottom