Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Palmated Buck

G6

Well I bowhunted hard all season like most here and just never got the opportunity at a shooter. It was a strange season to say the least, but I kept at it. I thought late muzzleoader season would hold a chance at a big buck with the weather looking good for the first time in 5 or so years.

I had been watching an area close to home for a few weeks prior to the season with the snow and had seen a buck in a field with 20 plus does and thought maybe a GOOD buck would show eventually. I first hunted the field without a stand in the fog we had that most remember and I got busted by some does. I went back and hung a stand in a dead tree that I could see well from with the intention of shooting a doe or a buck with my bow if the opportunity presented itself. About an hour before dark Xmas day the deer started to filter to the field with a decent looking buck showing himself. I had taken the bow and muzzleloader so I had it covered as far as something coming in out of bow range.

When the buck showed he was moving around erratically like he was looking for something, so I figured I'd video him for a few seconds since I had the camera. Well as I started to video him he got behind a tree where I couldn't see him and he started to move fast for the field so I figured it was shoot or forget it. When in this situation most of you know that it's usually the wrong decision to shoot the deer if you have your doubts (which I did) as to the size. Well I pulled up and shot in one motion when he was at 130 yards. I knew it was a good shot when he hauled ass and I watched him go into a dip and disappear. Right after the shot I knew he wasn't what I was looking for but it was too late.

As I was watching him run into the field I heard a crash on the ground below my stand to realize I had dropped my new video camera out of the tree when it didn't go into my coat pocket. Now I had not only shot a buck I wasn't looking for but had also probably ruined a $800 camera. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Well there was nothing to do but get down and head to the field and make sure he was down like I thought. When I went to the field he was right where I figured he would be with the shot being a good one. While climbing out of the tree I found the video camera not working as assumed. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Well it was another hard leason learned, but that's deer hunting and it has kept me coming back for the last 30+ years. I'm bowhunting now so even if I don't come home with anything the rest of the season it will still have been a memorable season like all the rest. This what deer hunting is all about and anyone who has been hunting long enough know's it has it's hardships as well as rewards. Good luck to you guys still hunting!

After getting over the part of shooting a smaller buck I measured him to find he grossed 150" even an he is a cool looking buck nontheless.

Sorry bout the camera G6 but I don't feel sorry bout you shootin that deer. I think he's pretty cool. 99 out of a 100 would have shot him.

2007_Muzzleloader_Buck_032.jpg

2007_Muzzleloader_Buck_018.jpg

Nice one Brillo, I'll take your rejects any day!! So did you have the "accidental" coverage on the Camera?
Damn Moose, your quick with the pics!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Field Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice! Any idea on age?

jh </div></div> I'm guessing 3 1/2 he was a young deer. I would have loved to have seen him in a couple years but around here the shotgun hunters would have more than likely got him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice one Brillo, I'll take your rejects any day!! So did you have the "accidental" coverage on the Camera?
Damn Moose, your quick with the pics!! </div></div> I never had anything on my disk when I checked it after it fell out of the camera, all the video that night was gone. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Thanks Moosehunter for fixing the pics, I appreciate it.

To harvest the buck and then to say he wasn't really what you were looking for seems a little disrespectful to the animal in my opinoin. You're the only one pulling the trigger, and you're not being forced to do it. Not hackin' on you here, guess I'm just slowly learning that it's not all about the horn anymore for me. It's a beautiful buck, and very unique.......I'd of shot him in a heartbeat.....congratulations!!!
Too bad to hear about the camera........I know it's late advice, but you can pick up some really cheap insurance on your camera to cover it for anything that "you" may do to it. Drops, kicks, throws, water emgulfment....ect, ect, ect.........just some food for thought if you get another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To harvest the buck and then to say he wasn't really what you were looking for seems a little disrespectful to the animal in my opinoin. You're the only one pulling the trigger, and you're not being forced to do it. Not hackin' on you here, guess I'm just slowly learning that it's not all about the horn anymore for me. It's a beautiful buck, and very unique.......I'd of shot him in a heartbeat.....congratulations!!!</div></div>
I'm more than happy with the deer but was rushed into making the decision to shoot with the muzzleloader and may not have if I'd had more time. I was too busy screwing with the camera. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I'm just kinda disappointed that I never got him with the bow instead. I'll do a Euro mount with him and he will be cool that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too bad to hear about the camera........I know it's late advice, but you can pick up some really cheap insurance on your camera to cover it for anything that "you" may do to it. Drops, kicks, throws, water emgulfment....ect, ect, ect.........just some food for thought if you get another. </div></div> Yep thought about that after the fact, something I may have to look into for sure.

Nice buck bud! Thats definitly not the kind of buck you will see every year. Those palmation bucks are cool! Hopefully you can drop a buck with your bow before the season is over.

Thats a great buck Mark . Let one like that walk by me . I would be more than happy to put him on the ground . I read your post last night but didn't see any pics then . Congrats again on your deer .

Top Bottom