Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Party Hunting ML Season

ElkHunter

Life Member
This bill would allow party hunting in late ML season. You may contact Mr. Arnold using information below if you desire to do so.

H.F. 2142 Sponsored by Richard Arnold
Legislative Email: [email protected]
Home Phone: 641.535.6313

Section 1. Section 483A.8, subsection 2, Code Supplement 1 2011, is amended to read as follows: 2 2. a. The A deer hunting license shall be accompanied by a tag designed to be used only once. When a deer is taken, the deer shall be tagged and the tag shall be dated. The tag shall be attached to the carcass of a deer taken within fifteen minutes of the time the deer carcass is located after being taken, or before the carcass is moved to be transported by any means from the place where the deer was taken, whichever occurs first. For each antlered deer taken, the tag shall be affixed to the deer’s antlers. During regular gun seasons and the late muzzleloader season, the bag limit for a hunting party is one deer for each hunter in the party who has a valid transportation tag. The possession limit is one deer per license. For purposes of this paragraph, “hunting party” means two or more persons who each have a deer hunting license and tag, and who are hunting together. For purposes of this paragraph, “possession” means that the deer is in the possession of the person whose license number matches the number of the transportation tag on the carcass of the deer.

EXPLANATION
This bill provides that during regular gun and the late muzzleloader deer hunting seasons, the daily bag limit for a hunting party is one deer for each hunter in the party who has a valid transportation tag. The possession limit is one deer per deer hunting license and the deer must be in the possession of the person whose license number matches the number of the transportation tag on the carcass of the deer. Currently, the natural resource commission’s administrative rules only allow such bag limits for hunting parties during regular gun deer hunting seasons. During all other seasons, the deer must be shot and tagged only by the person in whose name the license and tag was issued. For purposes of the bill, a “hunting party” is two or more persons who each have a deer

So is it true that Mr Arnold proposed this because he is in his last term and likes to party hunt so he figured he would try to get this passed?

I'm not really worried about this going through. There is no way this will get the backing it needs to pass. We were discussing this last night, and it is my opinion that some of these bills get thrown together just so these people can look like they are doing something. Most of them are so poorly written and have so many loopholes that they couldn't be passed due to insufficient wording or clarity. I understand the history and tradition of party hunting, but I think it has run it's course and I would hate to see it carried over to other seasons. Thanks for posting Randy.

Whether this gets passed or not I doubt it would make a whole lot of difference. Many of the people who late muzzy hunt aren't out just to fill their tags. Most of the late muzzy guys I know are waiting most of the season to put the hammer down on a big buck and will eventually take a doe towards the end of the season. This doesn't cover ALL muzzy hunters, but I believe this bill won't make a difference for how the majority of guys hunt this season.

HF 2142 Party Hunting in Late ML Season
The three gentlemen below will decide if this piece of legislation will come out of subcommittee. All responses and comments I received were very negative to this legislation. Please contact them and let them know your feelings.

Richard D. Arnold (R, District 72) Richard is from Russell – Lucas Co.
[email protected]
John Wittneben (D, District 7) John is from Estherville- Emmet Co.
[email protected]
James Van Engelenhoven (R, District 71) James is from Pella- Marion Co.
[email protected]

I have to think that this is geared to please some NRLO's.

Explain how that would benefit NRLO? I do not think you can buy a NR doe tag for muzzleloader, so the NR would have a buck tag anyway, or am I missing something?

Here's a comment from an individual that I repect very much and listen to closely when he has something to say.

As far as the late ML season is concerned, if party hunting gets passed then we should just make 3 shotgun seasons – hunters choice. We really won’t need a ML season. Is this what everyone wants?

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Notice of Subcommittee Meeting

Bill: HF 2142

Committee: Natural Resources (House)

Bill Title: A bill for an act relating to bag limits during regular gun and late muzzleloader deer hunting seasons.

Members: Arnold-CH, Van Engelenhoven, Wittneben

Date: Tuesday 2/7/2012 3:30 PM

Agenda:
Discussion of HF 2142.

Representative Richard D. Arnold, Chair

Does it strike anybody odd that the Chairman of the subcommittee is also the sponsor of the bill? This one might grow some legs.

Hardwood, I just looked at the NR guidelines on the DNR's web site and I believe you are correct. My Bad.

Iowa ML

Hardwood, I just looked at the NR guidelines on the DNR's web site and I believe you are correct. My Bad.

No I actually wasn't sure, I suppose a NR could party hunt and then shoot (2) bucks? Either way I am not a party hunting fan, I guess it is fine for shotgun hunting, but it is an old traditional rule that probably will not go away.

Explain how that would benefit NRLO? I do not think you can buy a NR doe tag for muzzleloader, so the NR would have a buck tag anyway, or am I missing something?

I was just checking and you are correct.

I think the suggestion that they just go with three shotgun seasons is great! If that is what you all want. Effectively the same thing.

Better yet lets make the ML season a true primitive weapns season and mandate open sites as many states have done. I personally think this style of season change make much more sence.

Muzzleloaders are a legal weapon to carry during either Shotgun 1 or Shotgun 2. Anyone wanting to party hunt with a muzzleloader can do it then. No need to start a third party season.

Make a call or send an email before 3:00 today if you think ML party hunting is a bad idea. Stop it before it goes to full House Natural Resource Committee

2142 made it out of sub committee. Our lobbyist & DNR made their case against it.
One of the committee members stated that the bowhunters declared against this bill and could see no reason for them to oppose.
We now have to get to the complete House Resource Committee. If your rep is on the committee he/she needs to hear from you.

Just make it very clear you are ML hunter and that you wait all year for the late season.

· Henry V. Rayhons (R, District 11), Chair
· Jeff Smith (R, District 6), Vice Chair
· Curtis Hanson (D, District 90), Ranking Member
· Richard D. Arnold (R, District 72)
· Clel Baudler (R, District 58)
· Joel Fry (R, District 95)
· Mary Gaskill (D, District 93)
· Bob Hager (R, District 16)
· Chris Hall (D, District 2)
· Dan Kelley (D, District 41)
· Mark Lofgren (R, District 80)
· Steven F. Lukan (R, District 32)
· Jim Lykam (D, District 85)
· Helen Miller (D, District 49)
· Dan Rasmussen (R, District 23)
· Sharon S. Steckman (D, District 13)
· Annette Sweeney (R, District 44)
· Phyllis Thede (D, District 81)
· James Van Engelenhoven (R, District 71)
· Guy Vander Linden (R, District 75)
· John Wittneben (D, District 7)

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Why folks keep throwing bad-management laws & new regulations into our once great system- I just don't know?!?!?? We have (or for some- "had") top notch hunting and it's ridiculous how much we need to fight to just try and keep it good or how we need to fight to keep it from going down the tubes. It just boggles the mind. Late antlerless, gov tags, party hunting late ml- it never ends. It sucks that theres threats at every angle and every spring. I really do worry about our future and worry folks to going to destroy what's one of the best states out there. Obviously IBA fights for some of this but I'm really worried about our constant threats and worried we could lose what Iowa is or once was- gone for good once some of these drastic changes gets put into effect. No going back on many of these examples and a few bad decisions could easily b the end. Not all are the End and I am not trying to b debbie-downer but a few come to mind that spell out the end of Iowa and some would argue theres a few things now that have been the demise of their area. With 5% timber and far fewer deer than most states- we have a very fragile and delicate system & ecology. Fragile system with too many folks who r continuing to b more reckless w/ laws and regs each yr.

Last edited:
This would be a great time to throw out a plug to join the IBA. As a newly elected Board member of the IBA I am learning a ton of what the IBA does that I did not know. They are on the pulse of all these new laws and I have been reading and sending dozens of emails daily with fellow board members as well as our representatives. We have to fight daily just to keep what we have here from being destroyed.

Joining is easy and you really can make a difference. Go to http://www.iowabowhunters.org/joiniba.htm - you can even use paypal. Post up if you have joined or renewed to the IBA and if you have made your calls or emails to your representatives to express your thoughts on the bills at hand.

Last edited:
This would be a great time to throw out a plug to join the IBA. As a newly elected Board member of the IBA I am learning a ton of what the IBA does that I did not know. They are on the pulse of all these new laws and I have been reading and sending dozens of emails daily with fellow board members as well as our representatives. We have to fight daily just to keep what we have here from being destroyed.

Joining is easy and you really can make a difference. Go to http://www.iowabowhunters.org/joiniba.htm - you can even use paypal. Post up if you have joined or renewed to the IBA and if you have made your calls or emails to your representatives to express your thoughts on the bills at hand.
Read above! Agree!

Top Bottom