Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Patience Grasshopper...

Gladiator

PMA Member
Good Friday to everyone...and Good Friday to me!

Wow, what a hunt...as always, skip to the pics if you're not in for a story.

Just woke up from a nap....got home with a bird around 12:30 and my son says, "Wow, look at that turkey!" :D Now I wasn't sure if he was talking about me or the bird....

I was pretty pessimistic most the morning. I've had birds around me here, but usually to either: a)skirt the decoys and not like them; b)come charging in during scouting before season only to never see them again; c)just plain miss and take off feathers; but d)they never roost here so you have to coax them across or catch them during their rounds.

I looked for the camera this morning but couldn't find it, so of course no pictures... :(

Muddy was optimistic most of the morning. 0500 we find ourselves just hanging tight in the truck due to overcast and setting nowhere near their roost. 0530 we were well on our way with a plan to intercept them hopefully mid morning. It didn't get light very fast and soon enough after 0620 birds were finally singing a little and we heard a couple gobbles, 3 of them being around 150 yards to 200 yards away. With the field sitting next to us, the grass was definitely greener on the other side, literally and figuratively. We knew they'd be there in the new growth of a prior burn this spring, not wanting to get their feathers wet in the timber.

After we felt the birds were on the ground, it wasn't long before Muddy spots a weary Longbeard walking across the "greener" field...wanted nothing to do with us. A little while later, 2 toms show up over the hill of the green field and march down to around 120 yards. As they are walking away, knowing they heard us, we just cut loose. One of them went into 1/4 strut and finally they started gobbling. They turned on a dime and walked in slowly until they saw Big Boi...then, they proceded into a death march........until....the....hog woven fence... :mad: I was everything but drawn as they were just sitting at 7 yards, two of them! It was one of the neatest things. They easily could have jumped over, but just wouldn't. They retreated to about 30-40 yards and just gobbled for awhile and walked off. I knew they fired Muddy up too due to him taking several deep breaths.. :D

2011-04-22085020.jpg

Awhile after they walk off, a jake comes to 11 yards and sits there...again not crossing the fence. Again, the two toms showed themselves several times, but they had their chance...

Now, despite all of the commotion, we forgot about a bird that gobbled a couple hours earlier. A little disappointed and possibly wanting to make one last ditch move on the forgotten gobbler, Muddy says, "you never know, one could be right on our property over there about 100 yards..." As soon as he finished...no lie here....one gobbles 100 yards away right where he points and about takes our head off. A couple yelps later, another gobble, and we shut up. 3 minutes later, around the corner he comes...

Picture108.jpg

Picture112.jpg

Picture115.jpg

Picture117.jpg

Picture119.jpg

I'm asking Muddy when to draw because he is SLOWLY walking towards us and I didn't want to spook him. We decided I was just going to wait until he parked next to Big Boi. That took forever, but after spitting and chest bumping Big Boi, I put one right where I thought, BUT just a tad low. I broke his leg and he hobbled off and squatted 20 yards away where I thought he'd die. Muddy whispers to shoot him again, so I knock another arrow and let him have it, again low and back. He runs off hard and I fly out of the blind. I couldn't see him due to him tucking into the grass and when I got close he took off running hard, ALMOST gaining lift. I'm at a full sprint and finally run him down about 100 yards later....he wasn't doing very well when I got to him.

Needless to say, nothing but a camera-phone, so it will have to do...

Picture120.jpg

Picture123.jpg

Picture129.jpg

23 lbs, 1" hooks, 11" beard - my biggest bird ever

It was one of my only days I have to hunt and God certainly provided us with a great time - I thanked Him numerous times in my mind...Muddy is quite the guide with his knowledge, optimism, and Big Boi decoy! :way: I'm very convinced the calling brought the Longbeard over, but Big Boi absolutely sealed the deal for all 3 longbeards today. Getting three within shooting distance at 7 yards??? Now you just can't beat that! :way:

Definitely not trying to start anything, but I will say ALL 3 Longbeards never paid one lick of attention to any of Muddy's "popular/expensive" hen decoys...all went to the ugly, beat up, Stuffed turkey. Interesting to say the least...

Thanks Muddy - what a day! :way: :way:

Just wanted to throw out a final "Happy Easter" to all....remember it's not about a bunny. :way: :D :way:

Awesome Job guys, Muddy it looks like your Big boi spent some time in a blind with THA4 after he competed in a baked beans eating contest. Once again way to stick it out in the weather and an awesome bird to boot.

Awesome story and bird my friend! You really haven't bow hunted turkeys until you've had to run down at least one :D:D:D

Well done on all counts :way:

WOW! Fun stuff or WHAT! Your guide has many qualities that I won't bring up now to dim this victory. :)

Sounds like a great hunt. Muddy sent me the last picture before the death shot. I think I replied back with "I hope that thing is dead" Glad to see that you closed the deal, cool story and pics. Congrats

Kratz

Congrats on the bird, Big Boy is a machine. I've seen at least 20 turkeys die because of his presence:way:

Top Bottom