Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pear Trees???

Central Iowa

Life Member
I hunted a farm this fall with an old grove of Pear trees. These were large trees over 30 feet, they also held their fruit through most of October and finished dropping the second week in November. Anyone have experience with pear trees and specific varieties for this area? I was very impressed with their ability to draw deer during this time frame. Many sits I had multiple bucks checking does and feeding in daylight hours for extended periods.

I've seen a few old pear trees around that deer frequent. One right by our driveway though doesn't seem to get hit as hard
confused.gif

I'm going to try some of Tom Wahls Aisan Pears because the stay firm instead of turning mushy.

I think the right pear might even be better then apples
smile.gif

Red Fern Farm

Paul I agree I have never seen a fruit tree pull like these did. There was good acorns near and this grove was the preferred food source. These stayed fairly firm through the beginning of November.

I think we need to learn how to graft! I watched Tom do it and it doesn't look that difficult.

Then you can take grafts from that tree and graft onto tougher wild pear stock!
(and save some grafts for me)
grin.gif

The drought essentially gave no pear life to the ones I have around here...but in years past have been real magnents.

[ QUOTE ]
The drought

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't even mention that nasty word Ryan
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Hoping for a better year in 2007...for everything from pears to peas
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The drought

[/ QUOTE ]