Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pedestal Build Opinions Needed

bowman

Super Moderator
Alright, I am building my first pedestal for my first pedestal mount. I have the basics done with the base built with barn wood from a barn on one of my hunting properties, a rubbed fence post from the property I shot the buck, and woven and barbed wire from my property (sticking up out of the dirt). I will be drilling holes in the back for switch grass (also from my property) to be put in. The base will be partially filled with sand and I have been experimenting with processes for dirt. I have decided on 50% water 50% Elmer's Glue mixed with top soil.

I need your opinions on what else to add sticking out of the dirt where the stained wood is, if anything. Here are the options.....

#1 Nothing additional

1040-post_1.jpg

#2 A partial Iowa Plate (Showing "Iowa" on the plate)

1040-post_2.jpg

#3 A partial Iowa Plate (Not showing Iowa on the plate)

1040-_218530.jpg

#4 A shed stuck in the dirt

1040-post_4.jpg

#5 Both the antler and the plate

1040-post_5.jpg

You'll have to imagine the dirt and grass since they aren't there yet. :) I'll have some imitation oak leaves scattered about as well.

Let me know which you think looks best. Thanks!

Last edited:
If it was mean, I would keep it simple and go plain. I had some built in the past only to tear apart because I thought they looked cluttered after awhile... but whatever you choose I am sure will look great!

Leave the partial Iowa plate so you can see Iowa and incorporate the shed. The Iowa Plate idea is an awesome idea! Do not leave it out!

A bag of bird shot is a good option to weigh it down. No mess if you ever decide to move it etc. Just take the bag oout. Otherwise looks good. I like that you are incorporating thingsbfrom the property.

I like the license plate idea. Only suggestion would be not to show the year. Everyone, well, me anyway, would want to know why 1964? Was that a special year in your life? Cut it the other way so "Iowa" and the county numbers show, of course the county number should match the county the buck was killed in.

The shed is a good idea also assuming it is a shed from the mounted buck. But like a previous reply it may start to look a little busy to have so much stuff in a relatively small area.

I really like the idea of a Jasper County plate. I may have to do some searching! And no, it wasn't hit by a car Bonker....:) BTW, the shed is not off the buck, just a possible addition/ decoration.

I would keep it as simple and meaningful as you can. Ive seen far too many that are just too busy, trying put too much into the base will take away from the mount.
Im still in the process of building mine, im doing an hour glassed fence post and one shed to the buck.
Im sure whatever you do it will look great, I really like the license plate idea.
In the end it's something that you are going to look at more than anyone, as long as you are happy with it then that's all that matters

Go simple, just the plate I think the shed will clutter it up. Love the plate though!!!!

Go simple, just the plate I think the shed will clutter it up. Love the plate though!!!!

Same here. On a side note... rather than use topsoil, I like to mix some sand in with peat moss and then go the 50% water/glue method. It give the soil a little more character so to speak. Love your idea BTW!

Looking good! Like the license plate a lot! The shed doesn't have to be attached so you can always add it, or remove it, or add a rock, or a turkey feather or whatever, when the mount is finished. I've got a couple of peds sorta like what you're doing & the scenery changes every so often.

Looks great! I love the iowa showing on the plate like its buried. Use sphagnum peat moss from menards mixed with water and elmers glue. Makes a very realistic dirt look

Here you go. First is just the plain sand/soil mix.

This is one that I added small cut up pieces of switchgrass to and pressed it in before it dried.

Hope these help a little.

I definitely like the plate idea. I think I still have the personalized plate off my old white Ford if you want! ;) The antler being removable is a good idea so you can keep it simple or mix it up. Looks good!

You could also add Allison's pink flip flop since she's standing back there. :D

Any of those ideas are going to look awesome, but I agree about leaving elements, at least the shed, unattached so you can remove it if wanted and put something else in there. I like the full Iowa showing on the plate. I almost forgot what the old plates looked like.

By the way, I may be mistaken, but I don't think you need as much topsoil for this as you have sitting to the side. :D

I definitely like the plate idea. I think I still have the personalized plate off my old white Ford if you want! ;) The antler being removable is a good idea so you can keep it simple or mix it up. Looks good!

You could also add Allison's pink flip flop since she's standing back there. :D

Don't forget the sunglasses and a beachtowel...oh, and possibly an umbrella on top of the post to shade the sun and a nice cold drink for that beachin' look!

Top Bottom