Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Penalties of a mild winter

A

AJ

I must say that even though I love the mild weather that we have recently been having, I am glad to finally see winter showing up.

It seems that a mild winter and idle time only lead to an assault on our wildlife's few remaining homes by the dozers, saws, trenchers and the like, all for the sake of a few more dollars, a few more rows, another golf course, or a new housing development.

While I sat in the warm sun this deer season the sounds of the birds were drown out by the sounds of the saws up north, clearing the oaks and walnuts.

The boulder-shrouded hilltop prairie that always gave up at least one rooster per trip was no match for that D8 CAT.

I know that these losses on my hunting grounds do not amount to much, but if they are occuring statewide (which they are) I wonder what our final losses will be...

Sorry to write such a depressing post, but these were a few things that occupy my thoughts recently that I felt I should share.

AJ

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 12-28-2001).]

We have that problem around here as well...No matter how much of a hard time I give the farmers with out stepping over the boundary, they continue to push down trees and take out cover. Most of the time at a huge exspense to them without a even proabable pay back in 20 years.

The one thing I did do on the positive side is to plant trees my self, 3000 last year and have orderd another 2000 for this year. I even helped a neighbor put some in after they seen what I was doing.

It takes a few $$$ and hard work initially, but I keep waiting for the pay off about 15 years down the road or so.

I think the saying goes the best time to plant a tree is 10 years ago, and the next best time is now......

Habitat destruction is the number one destroyer of species(plants and animals).

Few animals have adapted to peoples intrusion as well as the whitetail.

Hunters do there part by keeping whitetail pop in check. But maybe more importaintly their dollars go to protect and preserve habitat.

The city folk who want there home on an acre or more of manicured lawn are more to blame for this habitat destruction than a conservation minded farmer trying to make a living. Thumbs down to urban sprawl.

You can really see the change in the last few years if you drive across the state. More and more houses popping up in the middle of no where. Everyone wants a piece of the country now. I can remember driving complete sections without seeing a house along the road. Now I see houses being put up on hilltops and other previously worthless scrub brush areas just to be in the country. We even have lots being sold around where I hunt and I know some of these folks are driving 45-60 minutes to get to work. Can't say I blame them though, the city is not for me either.

Top Bottom