Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pennsylvania deer wars with PA state representative.

cchadww

Fascinating Drop-Tine podcast as Jason interviewed a PA state rep covering lots of conservation related policy issues. Worth a listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll listen for sure. It’s insane to see how much discussion & debate in “deer world”. & it needs to happen!!!!….. most of it is REACTIONARY to all the things that have happened that’s degraded hunting: access, amount of deer, giving special interests everything they want, quality of hunting experiences, uninformed politicians screwing up hunting, etc. Revolution. In 30+ years of hunting, I’ve never felt & seen such a strong desire to fix the problems in hunting world.

The change from the Monday rifle opener to Saturday was stupid. Hunters and small hunting communities were completely against it. For decades PA hunters would enjoy Thanksgiving , load up for deer camp Friday , hang out with friends and family over the weekend prepping for the Monday opener. Schools were closed and guys off work. The businesses and communities in deer country benefited. Now the opener is the Saturday after thanksgiving that shortens the build up , money spending etc. Poor decision by the PA game commission. Not to mention Sunday hunting is permitted on the Sundays the game commission decides, not every one. Another stupid rule.

Also back in the day, pre 2000, there was a two week buck season followed by a three day doe season. Around 2000 or 2001 they changed it to a concurrent season letting does be shot for 12 days in lieu of 3 and started issuing multiple doe tags to hunters where prior each hunter was allowed one. This practice has crushed the PA herd beyond repair. Havnt hunted there in years and will not.

Another practice, and I’m not sure where this stands today, was giving farmers red tags or green tags for “ deer crop damage”. In essence farmers shot what they wanted with little or no over sight. Complete joke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom