Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

People hunting right along our fence lines

Amazing how many people have had an issue with this. I've actually had an issue with this this year and last year. Another guy and I have permission on a small 18 acre piece. It's primarily a bedding area. The other guy doesn't hunt it much, only a couple times a year. I hunt the north end of the piece with a south wind and the other guy hunts the south end with a north wind, so we are never there at the same time, but keep in contact every now and then. We primaly hunt the fences lines too since the whole piece is really thick crp/saplings and is a bedding area, but my side is about a 20 ft drop to a creek behind me and he has permission on the the other side of the fence on his side.
Last year he told me there was a stand on his side just on the other side of the fence and only 20 yards from him. He thought I had just put one up there too. I told him I hadn't. So I went over and looked at it and it was a ladder stand that had the ladder on the piece I have permisson to hunt and the seat agaisnt a tree on the other side and facing my side with shooting lanes cut to shoot onto my side. I left a note explaining the situation and the next time I checked it was gone. No big deal, right? Well this year the landowner tells me the other guy who hunts it thought I might of put a stand by his. Nope. So I go check it out and it is another ladder stand just on the other side of the property line only a couple of trees away from the one it was in last year except at a 90 degree angle to make it completely on the other side and it was set up to use the same shooting lanes they had cut last year onto my side. The fence is old and was half laying down and covered in grass and the deer cross right in front of his stand, so sure, he could just be shooting the deer as they cross onto his side but it would be like a 2 yard shot straight down. That would be the only shot too because there were limbs all over to shoot onto his side anywhere else. So obviously this guy was trying to shoot onto my side. Long story short I pick the fence back up and pile brush all along the property line where the deer cross, went and bought some "No Tresspassng" signs and hung them around the property and put one right on the fenceline facing his stand, and piled up a bunch of brush on my side blocking several shooting lanes he had.

I'd go talk to the guy if I knew who it was but this is in a somewhat suburban area and theres several houses all within easy walking distance, so tought to tell. This spring I might put up some sections of chicken wire starting at 8ft off the ground to about 15ft tall in a few sections just to block any shoots he could take onto my side.

I have no problem with it if they are shooting on their side of the fence only. I have sat on many fence lines over the years. If I have to sit near a fence I prefer to be a good 40 yards or so off it because everyone thinks that is all your out to do is shoot on their side of the fence. Not the case for honest folks. I guess in deer hunting nobody is honest any more it seems.

We've got a couple stands pretty close to property lines, but they are older permanent stands that have been there for years and we had permission on both sides of the fence. Recently the property was sold and the new owner hunts his property. He knows the stands are there and that we won't shoot on his side either because we don't have shooting lanes there anymore or the shot would be 40+ yards, along with the fact that we have always been honest with him. But what really gets me is that a few years ago he started shotgun hunting with 10 guys in stands(now hes down to 5) but he put a ladder stand up in a tree that is within 2 feet of the property line. After gun season there would be a pile of shells on our side of the fence, but who knows which way he was shooting. No one sat that stand this year thankfully, but my dad was sitting close to keep an eye on which way the lead was being flung. It's sometimes tough to deal with, but I try to keep an open mind and assume everyone is being honest until proven otherwise.

Be careful doing this as you can be charged with interfering with the others hunt, Lee and Tiff are in hot water for doing this type of thing. They hung dryer sheets down a fence line to detour the from going in and out of the neighbors timber, they cant fathom someone shooting one of THEIR DEER. The neighbor took video and photos and posted them on Facebook and it went crazy. I would say just talk to the guy and make sure they dont shoot over the fence, I personally hunt several fence lines as they make good funnels but always am facing so my shots are all on my side or I am back far enough from the fence. There right ways and wrong ways to hunt fencelines and it is best to work those details out with each other.

I kind of get a kick out of some of these post of people freaking out that some one is hunting along the fence lines and it seems like they are always appalled that someone might shoot one of THEIR DEER. The truth is there is and always will be someone hunting on the neighboring property regardless how much land is owned there is always borders and the deer will always cross those borders so I suggest instead of worrying and giving your self ulcers I would just talk with the neighboring hunter and work these pety issues out.

Always helps to talk to your neighbors . . . 'battling' the neighbor almost always results in poorer hunting for everyone involved.

Be careful doing this as you can be charged with interfering with the others hunt, Lee and Tiff are in hot water for doing this type of thing. They hung dryer sheets down a fence line to detour the from going in and out of the neighbors timber, they cant fathom someone shooting one of THEIR DEER. The neighbor took video and photos and posted them on Facebook and it went crazy. I would say just talk to the guy and make sure they dont shoot over the fence, I personally hunt several fence lines as they make good funnels but always am facing so my shots are all on my side or I am back far enough from the fence. There right ways and wrong ways to hunt fencelines and it is best to work those details out with each other.

I kind of get a kick out of some of these post of people freaking out that some one is hunting along the fence lines and it seems like they are always appalled that someone might shoot one of THEIR DEER. The truth is there is and always will be someone hunting on the neighboring property regardless how much land is owned there is always borders and the deer will always cross those borders so I suggest instead of worrying and giving your self ulcers I would just talk with the neighboring hunter and work these pety issues out.

Do you have a link or can post the pics of Lee and Tiffany? I'd love to see them get in trouble personally.

Do you have a link or can post the pics of Lee and Tiffany? I'd love to see them get in trouble personally.

Hmm, why would you wish someone, anyone, get into trouble? Sounds like jealousy to me.. Not that I'm not jealous of what theyve built, but not enough to wish them trouble.

A friend of mine family owns some property next to one of Lee and Tiff's farms and it was his fence line they put the sheets on. As part of some legal agreement with the Lakoskys they have pulled the pics off facebook and what not. Long story short they are not very neighborly at all in fact they have gone as far as coming over the fence to take down stands that are to close to their property. They own or lease several properties in the area and majority of the neighbors have had issues of some sort related to hunting with them. To me if I was in their shoes I would make friends with the neighbors because its that many more eyes in the neighborhood looking out for everyone, instead they tend to make enemies with their neighbors who dont want to work with them at all.

Dylan/Justhunt, this is an absolute joke to me. Why dont you tell everyone the real story of how you deal with someone hunting the neighboring farm. I know of all your classless acts, and ive been holding my breath for far too long. This post of yours has finally put me over the edge.

Always helps to talk to your neighbors . . . 'battling' the neighbor almost always results in poorer hunting for everyone involved.

That is just a suggestion.

Here is an alternate route to take:

1.) Lets first try hanging dryer sheets and soap from the fence around his treestand to see if that will keep the deer away.

2.) When that doesn't work, lets take the treesteps out of the bottom of his treestand (while trespassing on the other side of the fence) and see if that slows him down.

3.) Lets drive by him in our truck while he is in his treestand right before dark (screaming "Have you seen any deer?!! HAHA")

4.) Lets patrol the fenceline looking for trail cameras and when we find one, steal his memory card.

5.) When he doesn't take his trail camera down, lets drive our 4-wheeler onto the neighboring property 100 yards and steal the entire trail camera.

6.) When he preps a tree by putting in treesteps, lets steal those tree steps and proceed to hang a ladderstand on the other side of the fence.

7.) When we find a treestand in view from our property, lets jump the fence and steal it.

7.) While shotgun hunting, lets trespass on the neighbors and try to run all the deer onto our side of the fence.

Results:

1.) The deer have completely altered their natural travel patterns.
2.) The mature bucks go nocturnal because of all the unnatural activity in the area.
3.) I feel good about myself because I pissed off the neighbor, even though my own hunting has been ruined by my stupid/illegal acitivites.
4.) I get on an internet forum and ask people for advice on what I can do about 'bad' neighbors.

Hmm, why would you wish someone, anyone, get into trouble? Sounds like jealousy to me.. Not that I'm not jealous of what theyve built, but not enough to wish them trouble.

Maybe my post came off wrong. To put it short I am not a fan at all of the majority of the hunting "celebs." They own/lease thousands of acres and shoot big deer every year. Well I would hope so with the amount of land they have to hunt and the amount of time they have. Basically all the big name people have made the hunting tougher for the average joe. It drives me nuts going to the classic and seeing people getting pic/autographs. They have made it so popular that it is so tough to find a place to hunt and it is just becoming if you don't own any land or lease it your out of luck. About the only thing I like about it is he habitat practices and shooting only mature deer and the awareness that they have raised through that. Other than that I can't stand it. I would say that they now do more damge than good.

Well, I guess you don't have to worry about scent control when hunting next to Lee and Tiff. All you got to do is figure out what brand dryer sheets they are hanging on their fences then use them for your hunting clothes LOL. I wouldn't be suprised if they are sponsored by bounty, seems like they are everyone else.

If it were me, I would gather up all of the dead trees in the timber and make the biggest brush pile you have ever seen. Would be a lot of work to do, but Im sure that they would get the message.

Bottom line!!!
People who hang stands on boarders of neighboring hunters where they have the possibility of shooting onto neighboring property....... are just plain non-sportsman and have no respect for any other hunter.
This kind of sportsmanship is exactly what Anti Hunters love to see.

I've always got a chuckle out of people who get all worked up about a stand "close" the the property line. If it's still on their property, don't worry about it. Why are you? Are you wanting to hunt your property line and it's interfering with where your wanting to sit?

I've always got a chuckle out of people who get all worked up about a stand "close" the the property line. If it's still on their property, don't worry about it. Why are you? Are you wanting to hunt your property line and it's interfering with where your wanting to sit?

ZINGGGGGGGGGGG. Agree 100% Until they shoot onto your ground why stress.

Uh, ya.... this is the kinda thing that you'll give yourself an ulcer worrying about... you'll never change it.

Bottom line!!!
People who hang stands on boarders of neighboring hunters where they have the possibility of shooting onto neighboring property....... are just plain non-sportsman and have no respect for any other hunter.
This kind of sportsmanship is exactly what Anti Hunters love to see.

Hang a stand any place you can hunt on your hunting ground. Be honest, shoot in your own shooting lanes and if a neighbor gets worked up about it just let him know you won't cross legal lines. Try and be a good neighbor and control your own selfish thoughts. You can't control everything in life but will have much peace by controling what you can. Self can be a great evil!

Merry Christmas and good luck to the Late ML hunters.

If your gonna bitch about Lee & Stiffany.... Stop watching there shows, buying their stuff and boycott companies that they whore for!!!! And let the companies know why you won't buy their product!! Pretty apparent who feeds them!!!!! :thrwrck: Shame on us!!!!!!!

Communication is key in situations like this. If it is someone who you can approach and have a decent conversation with them about the stand in question, by all means, talk to them. I think there is an unwritten rule about treestands on fence lines that is just common courtesy. But, there are some instances, especially with small trees with minimal cover where it is sometimes better to have your stand facing a different direction than the way in which you expect the deer to come from. We have about 15 stands and there are two that are on or near a fence line because of the tree location and they happen to face the direction of the adjoining property in which we do not have permission for. We've communicated our intentions of those stands with the landowners and hunters of those properties and they did not have a problem with it and were glad that they were informed of this. Those stands can only be hunted with a certain wind and the deer walk behind the stand nearly every time. I actually prefer a stand that isn't facing the direction that the deer come from because the tree is helpful in concealing your movement from the incoming deer although the stand requires a lot of actual standing in order to watch for when the deer come but it is one of the more productive stands when the wind is right.

Granted, these situations will nearly always produce a temptation to shoot across the fence at some point and time but hunting is all about integrity. Personally, I don't understand why some people would shoot a deer illegally and put it on the wall. You would have to tell a lie every time somebody asked about it.

But, I've also seen people set up treetsands on fence lines and actually cut shooting lanes into properties which they don't have permission for, which is a dead giveaway, and those stands deserve a little different kind of treatment. :way:

Top Bottom