Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Perch..goldeye....walleye..pike

SaskGuy

I've been trying to get the boys out as much as possible. Tait isn't nearly as big on fishing as Reid who wishes to go every single day. We've hauled a pile of perch from a lake right close to home. I don't even drag the boat there as a friend's dad built a sweet pontoon boat that we fish off right against the shore.
fish61.jpg

fish51.jpg

We started our summer holidays by travelling to my hometown. I had told reid of the numerous times in my life where my brother and I had sat on the shore of Lake Diefenbaker and caught countless goldeye. Because theyare not found in the more northern lakes he really wanted to catch one. We took some dead minnow rigs one day and caught a bunch of them, he was happy as a clam.
fish81.jpg

Dad's double header.
fish71.jpg

We spent this weekend at the cabin. My father in law always wants to fishg walleye whereas Reid and I prefer pike fishing. Beggars can't be choosers and after my wife and youngest wanted to quit for the day I jumped in his boat and pulled this 6 lber out of 25 feet of water on a deep running crankbait.
fish22.jpg

Here is one of Tait's walleye, thankfully grandpa waited for him each morning to get up and ready before joining us on the water.
fish91.jpg

Yesterday was one of the best days of pike fishing I've had in a long time in mid July. We started the day with 3 in the boat and although we didn't catch and real big fish we caught ALOT. My wife caught her largest ever, a 15 lb 38" er and between Reid and I after my wife jumped in with her dad, we caught and released 120+ pike b/w 4 and 12 pounds. I simply went seeking large cabbage beds in about 12 feet of water and they were absolutely full of fish. I knew we were not likely going to get any real big fish that shallow this time of yr but I still love catching huge numbers of "nice" fish so it was perfect for us. Reid was exhausted from the all day battle with strong and aggressive fish yet it was I who made him finally put the rod away.
fish31.jpg

He still needs work as a camera man.:D
fish41.jpg

fish10.jpg

If you've never drifted through cabbage beds and casted for pike that you can watch come after your lure like a bullet, you're missing out. I had a hard time typing this, my hands have been through the meat grinder, but it's worth it.:drink2:

Man that looks like a bunch of fun, your boys are lucky to have you take them out and spend as much time with them as you do.
Thanks for sharing.

What an experience! Watching you and your boys fish is definitely envious and brings back all kinds of memories. Is there anyway you can adopt me as your 3rd son? :D

Looks like an absolute blast. All those fish are great, but those perch look to be giants. Nothing better than catching pike in that size range. Looks like a blast. Truly jealous of the fishing you guys have up there.

You may not be in heaven, but you're damn close :D

Congrats...having time to fish with your kids is one of the great fringe benefits of being a teacher :way:

NWBuck

Still waiting on some of your trail cam pics:way:

I've actually been too busy playing fishing guide and playing ball that I haven't hung a cam yet......................priorities are a changin' it seems........and I get tired of the bears in June and July.

Congrats...having time to fish with your kids is one of the great fringe benefits of being a teacher :way:

These days it seems like the largest perk by a landslide.

hey congrats on the great fishing.. My family goes up waterfowl hunting every year and the guy has his lodge on Lake Diefenbaker

HOLY smokes man, 120 pike? That is AWESOME! What a way to get a kid hooked with action like that...and BIG fish to boot. That pic with the little man holding that fish is awesome. You need to blow that thing up and put it up in the man cave. Nice work man.

What a great fishing trip with the family ... Now my son really wants to go to Canada. Chance says congrats to Reid and "nice pike, really nice pike!"

Top Bottom