Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Person in Arizona?

loneranger

I am ashamed I don't know the name of the guy on here who moved to Arizona. I just made a trip there to take my Mother-Inlaw to birthday party with her 100 yr old sister. We crossed Tex,and New Mexico, and up around Flagstaff AZ. Forgot where he was located. Saw GrandCanyon too. I was amazed at how many mountains there were in the SW. Too bad though the drought there still goes on. Lots of standing water from Lamoni-Kansas City-Okl-West Kansas,until you hit East Tex,from there,,drought. Came back up thru colorado. In my youth I made trips to Montana,WY. Stayed for some time near Jackson Hole. The green and deer hunting of Iowa is one draw,but the mountains and all the land you can just head on into and find peace from civilization is another draw. I have been away from the Mtns for some 20 yrs and when back out there ,it was hard to leave them. Still snow out there and frosty mornings ,and all that room.!

Yeah,

AZHunter (Brian) lives in Flagstaff, he is a super nice guy, to bad you didn't hit him up when you were rolling through. My folks have a house in north Phoenix now and next year when I am out there I am going to make it a point to head north and pay Brian a visit, and maybe do some shed stomping. Flagstaff area is hard to beat, tons of Elk, deer, etc. and a 1,000,000 acres of national forest.

Kratz

Thanks for the kind words, Jarin! Now how much do I owe you? As long as I'm in Flagstaff (or anywhwere for that matter), you know you have a roof over your head!

Loneranger, you visited some of my favorite places in the SW. Arizona is WAY more than desert, although the desert is beautiful in its own right (big desert muleys). I moved away from Iowa to El Paso, TX for grad school when I was 23 and it wasn't until then that I realized how great I had it in Iowa. My grad school work had me doing field work in AZ and I fell in love with the mountains of SE AZ. My wife and I talk about moving back to Iowa to raise my family and I use the deer and turkey hunting as a motivator, but after 12 years here in AZ neither of us are sure we can leave the mountains and all the public land to get away from society as needed! AZ is one of the most biologically diverse states in country with influences from Mexico (Sierra del Madre), Rocky Mountains, Sonoran, Chihuhuan, and Mojave deserts. Tough to beat!

Next time you are coming through, give me a shout. Jarin, like I said before, door is always open and I'll take some time off work when you're here!

Thanks for the kind invitation. I had alot of driving to do to take my inlaws around to relatives. We headed out across Kansas,Okl,Tex, New Mex, and then into Arizona to pheonix. Alot of beautiful country. Relatives said to take short cut from Showlow. Did not tell me was thru,,I think they called it Salt Canyon. I had been drivng all day and did not need those hair pin switch backs, with nothing on the edge. Was the most beautiful Canyon I have ever seen, but it was getting dark and I was tired, Hairy drive,,I can tell you. I was creeping along while the locals were flying around me and those sharp curves.. Southern Grand Canyon was a joke. Tourist Central,,but my mother inlaw is wheel chair bound, so we had to take the easy route,buses and all. I and wife spent just one day back in flagstaff. Drove up to the skilodge near Humprey Mtn. guess I should write more person to person,, but thanks.

Beautiful area around Flagstaff. I have been putting in for AZ elk tags for 18 years, been drawn twice. For the last 5 years I have been putting my sons in for tags too, all separate. Last week my credit card got charged for a tag, yet the state has not let anyone know if they drew or not. If I had only used that credit card for me alone i would know. We have been on pins and needles waiting to see which of us three drew the tag. All I know for sure is I will be in elk camp south of Flag sometime in Sept or Oct.:grin:

Me and and another son put in for archery tags (September), my other son wanted a rifle tag (October)

I went to Arizona 20 times before making it to the Grand Canyon, you have to see it even for 30 minutes, it is spectacular. I regretted not seeing it 30 years ago.

Last week my credit card got charged for a tag, yet the state has not let anyone know if they drew or not. If I had only used that credit card for me alone i would know. We have been on pins and needles waiting to see which of us three drew the tag. All I know for sure is I will be in elk camp south of Flag sometime in Sept or Oct.:grin:

I put in before I knew the online system was working right. So I have the ultimate wait since I sent in a paper app and a check. They cashed my check a long time ago, which is standard. Its the only way they can get me a refund if I'm not drawn! :thrwrck: Congrats on the one tag, at least! What unit(s) did you put in for? The latest I heard was that it should be sometim mid-next week to post the results. I've been on pins and needles, too. I have several friends whose credit cards have been dinged and its driving me nuts. Mine is strictly archery down on the Rim and I have enough bonus boints that I should get drawn, but its killing me not knowing.

When you find out, let me know and if you need help while you're down here (if I'm not on my hunt), I'll do what I can, especially if you need help getting an elk out. Several roads are now closed on the Coconino NF, so look at their website to see which ones, or I can send you the maps via email if you want. One of my favorite roads for turkey hunting was closed. :(

I hunt 5b South for archery, my youngest son (will be a senior this fall) will hunt archery in that unit too, if it is his tag. I put my oldest son in for 6A rifle hunt across the road. We are near happy jack and camp a few miles in the forest near Hutch Mtn.

My Bro-in-law and his friends will be in the area so we should be Ok for dragging it out. Last time I got drawn I shot a spiker on day 8 and we drug it in the dark for a 1/2 mile, the next day in the daylight we noticed he died next to a road but we had drug it back across the way we came...gggrrrrr.

Good luck.

I hunt 5b South for archery, my youngest son (will be a senior this fall) will hunt archery in that unit too, if it is his tag. I put my oldest son in for 6A rifle hunt across the road. We are near happy jack and camp a few miles in the forest near Hutch Mtn.

My Bro-in-law and his friends will be in the area so we should be Ok for dragging it out. Last time I got drawn I shot a spiker on day 8 and we drug it in the dark for a 1/2 mile, the next day in the daylight we noticed he died next to a road but we had drug it back across the way we came...gggrrrrr.

Good luck.

So what did you get drawn for? I got a 6B archery tag for Sept, but if you need anything, give me a shout. I can be in either area quickly enough!

5B rifle for November 30 -Dec 6.

When I have hunted (twice in past 18 years) we usually end up running to Flag for some kind of bow part or supplies.

Will contact you if any questions or issues arise. I may come down scouting the south end of that unit this summer. I'd like to come down in July and leave my ATV and trailer at Clints Wells or Happy Jack. Save some wear and tear on the trailer.

Good luck.

Top Bottom