Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pettengill Change up

Limbchicken: You are fortunate to be able to own a cabin in that area, I also fish Leech quite often, our family has a cabin in that area. It is ironic because it seems like residents and non-residents all get along up there, and they don't seperate the two with "silly" restrictions.

I am glad you enjoy Minnesota, and please bring your friends! Shoot a deer while your up there.

Archery95 I spend in excess of 20K per year to Iowa banks, hotels, a local elevator, the county tax collector, the dnr and utility companies. That does not include $ spent at local grocers and restaurants. I travel to Iowa 4 to 5 times per year and spend a lot of time. I think many would be surprised how often NR's visit other states.

I believe that if you asked most residents of Iowa... since most of them are not deer hunters... that they would be more rational about what is realistic to expect a NR to pay for a license.... Since NR hunters bring in so much addtional money to the local economies and the DNR I think that many residents would be in favor of adding more NR licenses..... By the way, we pay for the doe license whether we want one or not.....

Let’s ask the residents of Iowa if they wanna bring in an industry that will create 1,000 new direct jobs and several thousand indirect jobs. Almost to a person they would say "sure, Iowa needs the economic shot in the arm". Then you explain to them that the industry will also create several tons of toxic particulate matter and discharge tens of thousands of gallons of waste water everyday day and those same Iowans, when given the facts, will say “thanks, but no thanks”.

So it is with nonhunting Iowa residents and Iowa hunters. When given the facts about an increase in the NR allotment and the affect it will have on Iowans who hunt, the nonhunting Iowans will back their friends and neighbors that choose to hunt.

As far as limits on fish in Minnesota, shame on you for letting outsiders have undue influence on your laws. I ran across a tourism site while googeling Minnesota Tourism. The site contained ways of convincing locals that tourism with its inherent local negative impact is a good thing. You can keep your fish and the reported 11 billion in flow through tourism dollars, we’ll keep our deer.

A cash cow always looks good until the milk it produces is found to be toxic.

The ‘Bonker

Archery95 I spend in excess of 20K per year to Iowa banks, hotels, a local elevator, the county tax collector, the dnr and utility companies. That does not include $ spent at local grocers and restaurants. I travel to Iowa 4 to 5 times per year and spend a lot of time. I think many would be surprised how often NR's visit other states.

Thank you for your contributions to our poor and humble state. Perhaps you could grace and honor us by moving to our state and becoming a resident so you could enjoy what our state has to offer year around instead of just visiting 4-5 times a year. We would gladly accept you in our ranks as an Iowa resident because if you can afford 20k/year on 4-5 visits this indicates you are a professional of some sort making a good income. Think of the money you could make in Iowa with our lower taxes (a guess on my part) and less expensive cost of living. You could make oodles and gobs more money here.

The 'Bonker

Bonker, thanks for your condescending and sarcastic remarks as always. Many of us would love to move to a dream location and enjoy our lives. But realistically jobs, families, taking care of in-laws, kids, medical conditions, etc. all take priority over the hobby of hunting. I love deer hunting and enjoy Iowa but it's low on the "to do" list as it should be.

I reside in the Northeast because quite frankly it's only one or two major population centers in the country(west coast the obvious other) and I have to work. Also, from an education standpoint I want my kids to have many options and this area affords that also. Lastly, without going into detail this area has the best medical facilities in the world(Cleveland Clinic and several hospitals in Pittsburgh) and that is needed.

No, I'm not wealthy I simply choose to spend my money, and invest my income, on something I enjoy. In addition, I think real estate of most kinds is valuable and down the road if I need to sell I don't think I'll lose my investment.

You come acrossed as well schooled and you believe your comments are researched and complete, but your insults through wit are transparent, juvenile and obvious.

Bonker, thanks for your condescending and sarcastic remarks as always. Many of us would love to move to a dream location and enjoy our lives. But realistically jobs, families, taking care of in-laws, kids, medical conditions, etc. all take priority over the hobby of hunting. I love deer hunting and enjoy Iowa but it's low on the "to do" list as it should be.

I reside in the Northeast because quite frankly it's only one or two major population centers in the country(west coast the obvious other) and I have to work. Also, from an education standpoint I want my kids to have many options and this area affords that also. Lastly, without going into detail this area has the best medical facilities in the world(Cleveland Clinic and several hospitals in Pittsburgh) and that is needed.

No, I'm not wealthy I simply choose to spend my money, and invest my income, on something I enjoy. In addition, I think real estate of most kinds is valuable and down the road if I need to sell I don't think I'll lose my investment.

You come acrossed as well schooled and you believe your comments are researched and complete, but your insults through wit are transparent, juvenile and obvious.

It is unfortunate you see my comments as condescending and sarcastic. Undoubtedly a character flaw, be it on the writer or the reader is a matter of debate.

I was simply trying to point out that Iowa can always use new citizens that do not depend on Section 8 housing, and share the same values as we do. If you choose to feel slighted by those thoughts, well, I guess you will just have to feel that way.

If I wanted to be transparent, juvenile and obvious I would just say "you suck" and be done with it.

The ‘Bonker

It's funny to see the Leech Lake area as an example. To me that area is a prime example of over exploited resources. The walleyes got fished out, so limitations had to be imposed late in the game. I don't know how all of Leech looks, but I know a lot of the other lakes in the area have their once beautiful shorelines packed with high dollar vacation homes. The place isn't quite so special as it used to be 25 years ago and longer.

I don't understand why you NR's can't understand the things you want to change here, will actually change what you enjoy about Iowa.

Tourism

Bonker: Tourism is bad? Not in my area, we rely on it, follow step by step this formula: Iowa farmer buys Minnesota lake home for $300,000. Real estate makes commission on the sale, then uses commission dollars to buy an undervalued farm with abundant deer and turkey in southern Iowa.

While in Iowa, MN non-resident owner meets several very nice Iowa residents, some which give him permission to hunt on their farm. Local restaurants and hotels are very happy to see the Minnesota resident spend money in the establishment so they can make a living and live in Iowa. Tourism is bad, depends on who you talk to...

River1: Leech Lake is not as special because of development? Reality! How is anyone going to stop development on privately owned lakeshore? What is the alternative?

This has been my point to you and others on this site regarding land ownership. I've said this before I don't blame you for trying to limit non-resident tags. But if you don't have an alternative plan and you want hunting rights then you need to buy a farm. Hoping that you can continue to hunt on someone else's farm is liking wishing that Leech Lake was still undeveloped.

I spend in excess of 20K per year to Iowa banks, hotels, a local elevator, the county tax collector, the dnr and utility companies. That does not include $ spent at local grocers and restaurants. QUOTE]

Sorry, but that does not compare to the over $90,000 my wife and I spend in Iowa and our local economy. Most residents like me most likely spend 3/4 or more of our hard earned cash here every year and that is why we should get to have the voice on laws like this and not Non residents, and oh yeah, cause your a non resident. The thinking that a NR LO should have a say in our laws blows me away.

Jdubs,

You are the minority in that much spent each year for dollar amount but most residents spend twice to three times that every year.

Basically there whole yearly salary.
I have no problem with non-residents hunting here at all but not an excess number.

It looks like the voting people for now have decided that we are at that correct number?

But if you don't have an alternative plan and you want hunting rights then you need to buy a farm. Hoping that you can continue to hunt on someone else's farm is liking wishing that Leech Lake was still undeveloped.

Keeping NR tags limited allows more Iowan's to be able to afford ground. That has been my point to you.

I used the Leech area just for example to what unlimited access does to private areas. How many locals there wish they could have a piece of lake front, but can't afford to compete with people from Chicago and other areas?

Keeping Iowa tags limited has proven to slow the exclusive trophy hunting trends. It has kept our recreational land values from rocketing. It has kept blue collar guys like me in the running to someday, just maybe, own our own ground in our own State.

Like it or not, that's how it works here and more resident sportsmen are realizing it every year thanks to groups like the IBA and the founders of Iowa Whitetails Forever.

Farm

River1: I wish you the best in buying a farm. I mean that! Sometimes us landowners forget that it is difficult to finance/purchase a piece of ground. I worked my butt off and paid $3000 down to buy a piece of land in year 2000. Best investment that I ever made! I hope you can find a nice property some day...

Top Bottom