Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pheasant opener pressure on Ringgold WMA

Ryan Smith

How much pheasant hunting does Ringgold WMA get on the pheasant opener? I am arriving Saturday morning and am wondering if the bird hunters will be helping move the deer around?

I've done a lot of research but this can throw a wrench into much of my plans.

Thanks for any advice all,
Ryan

Southern Iowa sure doesn’t have much for bird hunters (or birds) around me. So I don’t see much. Public- if there’s native grasses, crp looking stuff or shrubs (stuff that is pheasant cover) - man, public + opener, my bets would be someone out. Maybe wrong. There is a few birds and if anywhere gonna be most likely for pressure - public that contains grasses and weeds and stuff. On flip side- is a major all forest public area gonna get pheasant traffic? Of course not. But if it’s “bird-like looking ground” i guess it gets hunted. More guys local to there know more of course.

Southern Iowa sure doesn’t have much for bird hunters (or birds) around me. So I don’t see much. Public- if there’s native grasses, crp looking stuff or shrubs (stuff that is pheasant cover) - man, public + opener, my bets would be someone out. Maybe wrong. There is a few birds and if anywhere gonna be most likely for pressure - public that contains grasses and weeds and stuff. On flip side- is a major all forest public area gonna get pheasant traffic? Of course not. But if it’s “bird-like looking ground” i guess it gets hunted. More guys local to there know more of course.

Ringgold is 1/4 timber 3/4 upland. But I have absolutely no idea of there will be many bird hunters. Lol.

In my own experiences pheasant hunters @ the area are a good thing. On top of the weather change to possibly keep deer on their feet later in the am, as well as earlier in the pm. Now you got a chance of hunters moving deer from areas out away from you that you would have never had the chance to see! Win/win imo!
Best of luck!

In my own experiences pheasant hunters @ the area are a good thing. On top of the weather change to possibly keep deer on their feet later in the am, as well as earlier in the pm. Now you got a chance of hunters moving deer from areas out away from you that you would have never had the chance to see! Win/win imo!
Best of luck!

That was my train of thought also!

Good luck to you as well.

I hunted it a lot for deer and birds, but that was when the bird population was better down south. It use to get many Laotian hunters also for upland game, again haven't been down there in years.

Top Bottom