Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pheasant rebound…

How large is the cattle pasture and what are some of the larger changes or plantings you made to it?
It's right around 22 acres. We established around 5 acres of a pollinator prairie blend. We also put a couple acres in sunflowers that once the sunflowers get established we let whatever weed/grass come up under them. There's also a couple acres of clover. The rest is timber, and pasture I haven't decided on what I want to do with, yet. It'll either be more food plots, prairie, timber, or all of the above.

We also put a couple acres in sunflowers that once the sunflowers get established we let whatever weed/grass come up under them
That's good to know. I'm planning on planting a couple acres worth of long narrow strips for them at the moment. Thinking grain sorghum because I hear they like it, plus I liked the idea of being able to use a corn residual in it. Maybe I should do half clean sorghum and the other sorghum and suflowers with no residual?? Haven't grown either before

Things to consider- pheasants need three types of cover throughout the year to survive and propagate. (1) nesting cover in late spring to hide/protect the nest and the hen (2) brood rearing cover in summer that is fairly open at the ground level to allow chicks to move freely with a "canopy" to hide them from predators above and (3) winter cover that is thick to block winter wind and snow. If you have these things, you will inevitably have the food for them to also survive and you'll have more pheasants than you know what to do with. Likely quail and turkey too.

Top Bottom