Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pic of Mountain Lion in Newell

Brau33

Broadhead
Im from the Newell area and got word of a mountain lion sighting by a farmer. He watched this mountain lion for quite some time and this pic was one of the pictures in the newspaper I guess. I got this from a buddy. Havent heard much else, anyone else got anything on this?

newellmountainlion.jpg

OPEN YOUR EYES AND STOP BELIEVING RUMORS!!!!.... it's just one of Bonker's escaped (purposely released) house cats.

just joking- i think. that is one big fat mountain cat!

I hope this picture posts okay. I got it from the DNR officer in my area. This apparently is the second photo taken of the mountain lion. If you look close at this picture you can tell it is a tom cat of some sort. It has a white neck and chest. If you examine the angles and the trees it definitely looks like the same area, just a different angle. If it is true it's interesting that the papers who covered this didn't bother to run both pics. You be the judge?

cat_003.JPG

I would agree that could be in the same spot, going on how the fence is the same type in both pictures. I would have just wacked him, that would save all the debate!!

Well I ran into Ron Andrews in Des Moines last weekend nad I asked him about this pic. He said that his first impression was that it was legit. But after he got to looking at it the thing looked like a housecat. So he sent it to a place out west that analyzes thes things and they came back conclusively that it was a housecat. Hard to argue with him. I asked him if the people who took the pics took any of the tracks and he said no but they actually had one more picture that looked even more like a cat that hadn't been made public.

For what it is worth, he said there have been three confimed kills of mountian lions in Iowa, all of which appeared to be wild. There have been over 1000 reported sightings and about 2% of them have been verified.

I heard that last weekend another cat was spotted by Sulphur Springs that would be about 7 miles west of Newell. This time they took pictures of the foot prints and rumor has it that the DNR confirmed they were mountain lion tracks. I’m not sure on the story but I would love to see one when I’m out coyote hunting.

I had a farmer call me today and ask if he could use one of my game cameras because he saw a scratch post for cat. So i went to investigate and u got it just a nice big deer rub.(i put up the camera anyway to make him happy)

Top Bottom