Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Picked corn field or bean field??

BDAHMS

Be here Now
Which do you feel is better- our deer are known as the "corn fed" deer- but to me it seems after they are picked- beans get more attention.

I would pick anything that is closer to cover.. IF there is corn still left on the ground.. I would sit around there.. If beans are there.. I'd sit there..

Everytime I have sat this late season, the deer walk across the cut beans to get to the cut corn.

Although I don't have the opportunity to hunt over either; I do find way more sheds around fields when they are planted in beans as opposed to corn.

Hay has been trumping both in my neck of the woods as of late, but sadly not my hay field.

I think being off the road a ways and unpressured makes a difference to.

Hay has been trumping both in my neck of the woods as of late, but sadly not my hay field.

I think being off the road a ways and unpressured makes a difference to.

Proximity to the road, and amount of traffic, are the biggest factor were I have been hunting. One cut cornfield I hunt had a ton of sign, but also a lot of trucks circling the section at last light. The deer came out way late. Otherwise I have seen groups of 20 deer out on corn, beans, and hay fields. I really thought the preventative acres planted with radishes and turnips would have more action.

we have shot seven off a picked corn field late muzzleloader, bean field next to it and they are in the corn every night, not a one in the beans

Deer in my areas are feeding in the cornfields at night but pounding the crap out of browse and red oak acorns right now during the day. Ridge tops are just torn up from the pawing up the snow. Unless you have standing beans I'd think corn is king.

Lets throw one more scenario in there.Standing corn or picked corn due to snow on the ground which is better I would assume standing corn,but seems like I'm not seeing a lot of sign in the standing corn.

Lets throw one more scenario in there.Standing corn or picked corn due to snow on the ground which is better I would assume standing corn,but seems like I'm not seeing a lot of sign in the standing corn.

I had a great hunt a couple years ago. I was hunting the first shotgun season with 6 inches of snow on the ground on a cut corn field. a tree had fallen into the cornfield and the farmer avoided that with the combine when picking the field. I I set up a hundred yards from the little bit of standing corn. it was a deer magnet.

I personally think there preferences go back and forth thru out the year. But this time of year they go to where they can find the most the easiest. Which if you think about the fields you've walked in. have u noticed the farmers with the older equipment leave more crop in the field then the newer equipment. Start paying attention to this I'd be willing to bet you'll notice there's more deer in the field farmed with older combines this time of year.

This is a tad off topic but back in 2009 we planted a 1.5 acre sweet corn field, and had 5 acres of field corn next to it, we only picked about half of the sweet corn and the farmer left 8 rows of field corn on the edge (due to snow drift from harvesting late), so we had tons of food! Counted about 100 deer a night in our 6.5 acre field, had a 160" 10 point and 9 does come across the road every night at 5:23-5:25,we haven't had action like that since that year with a regular crop rotation.....fast forward to now, there is a 20 acre alfalfa field next to crossroads church down the street from me that has 30-40 deer in it a night, Im sayin deer go to where the most food is obviously! :D

Last edited:
In sw minnesota it seems that when it's extremely cold the deer just hammer the standing beans with a lot less sign around standing corn. We have some public land with four different food plots two standing bean and two standing corn which alternate every year. The beans through late season and all through shed season are always completely tore up with sign and the corn isn't used near as much. I always thought if I owned ground and wanted to keep deer through the winter I would definitely leave standing beans versus standing corn.

Top Bottom