Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pics to help u before and after shot.... vitals, anatomy, recovery

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
46E58BD9-4868-4961-B2C6-B4679DEA13CF.jpeg A4C7BCBA-C407-409A-A35E-740A379DEDFC.jpeg E8394B78-529A-4874-8750-AC1DCA31F74E.jpeg 418102A1-95C8-4E4B-8784-B9DF7FDDEC24.jpeg 3D146AB4-0E45-4772-9C91-D28817CA40BD.jpeg F9971AD5-8811-43B1-85E9-E81E62B867A1.jpeg
20 years in and I get calls every year “hit here, think he’ll die”?!? Whatever. I make calls myself too. Before and after - 20 years later these are still good for me to see before I go out and use diagram after shot when discussing. Hope this helps someone! Good luck!

Last edited:
My wife tells me “in between both ears” - I think she’s correct.

Good one. But a good topic. I have lost count of the number of times someone used the phrase, "over the lungs and below the spine...". Hopefully these picture laden threads can help more people understand the anatomy better.

Pretty good video! Aside from mispronunciation of some of the anatomical parts, it's reasonably accurate. He does a good job of dispelling the "void" concept. I still contend though, that most "single lung" hit deer will die. While both lungs may not collapse, a sharp broadhead will lacerate the lung sufficiently that it will bleed profusely and the deer will die from the hemorrhage. While it's possible that a very glancing hit on the very edge of a lung, or a dull broadhead that failed to lacerate much lung tissue, might be the exception, it would be a very rare exception. And his comment about a blood clot in the shoulder causing a stroke is really far fetched! :rolleyes: Still a lot of good info! Thanks for posting!

I wish I could copy/ paste this entire post to about a dozen forums.

"Void" my hind foot.

Pretty good video! Aside from mispronunciation of some of the anatomical parts, it's reasonably accurate. He does a good job of dispelling the "void" concept. I still contend though, that most "single lung" hit deer will die. While both lungs may not collapse, a sharp broadhead will lacerate the lung sufficiently that it will bleed profusely and the deer will die from the hemorrhage. While it's possible that a very glancing hit on the very edge of a lung, or a dull broadhead that failed to lacerate much lung tissue, might be the exception, it would be a very rare exception. And his comment about a blood clot in the shoulder causing a stroke is really far fetched! :rolleyes: Still a lot of good info! Thanks for posting!

Excellent point. ^^ For as many years as I have been in involved in archery deer hunting I have heard/seen stories of deer that were hit and not recovered and the reasons have been all over the map as to why. But IMO, a dull broadhead is pretty often the real cause of the lost animal...but it is frequently not identified by hunters as an issue.

I once watched an experienced archer demonstrate the effect of a sharp broadhead v. a dull broadhead. He put several rubber bands on his hand, between his thumb and pointer finger. He then stretched them out by moving his finger away from his thumb. He then took a dull broadhead and carefully "pierced" the "wall" of stretched rubber with the dull broadhead. Few, if any, of the stretched bands were sliced, for the most part the broadhead just slid through them, essentially rubbing them and sliding them out of the way.

He then repeated the exercise, only this time he did with a broadhead that was razor sharp. Pting, zoom, whizzz...at least 10 of the rubber bands were instantly sliced and went flying off his hand as the sharp broadhead went through them like a hot knife through butter. That visual caused me never again to shoot a broadhead at a deer that was not shaving sharp. Even one shot into the dirt, hay bale, Block target, etc, will significantly dull a broadhead and then could lead to a far less than optimal wound on a deer.

After all these years, I am still surprised to see some otherwise very skilled hunters shoot an arrow into the dirt, pull it out, tap the dirt off of the now dull broadhead and then put it back in the quiver...only to later be shot at a deer. Aaaarghhh!

^ good points above. My philosophy on broadhead sharpness is simple. If it goes thru a deer, it goes to the end of the quiver for coyotes or it goes in the trash. If I shoot at a deer I can guarantee you that broadhead has never been thru a deer or shot at a target. Can be a bit hard on the wallet, but I ain't chancing a thing in this regard. I'm not messing around with replaceable blades cuz it isn't changing the tip. End of story.

Using Rage expandables I change the cutting blades and tip blade every time a hunting broadhead gets shot regardless of what it hits. I use their practice heads for target work.

Void, means you tracked him too early on a one lung hit and bumped him to the next county IMO.

these are great images and videos and really help you visualize where things are.

Some good stuff here guys! That video is great. Such a simple thing to do....why haven't I ever thought of doing that just to see where exactly everything lays.

I used to carry one target broad head in case I had to finish one off. After missing a chip shot on a nice buck last year I had a chance to reach behind me for another arrow from my pack. Guess which one I grabbed! 20 yd shot behind the shoulder 10 in. Of penetration. Never found a 150 class deer. NEVER again! Keepem Sharp

I agree...he's also trying to sell some "real" anatomy deer target so he gets a little off track. I think the most informative part, especially for new hunters, is where the leg, elbow, shoulder, scapula bones are located.

I also agree on the sharp broadhead. I shoot rage and slick tricks. I have a Gatco Sharpener kit that I use to put a good edge on my blades. If my Rage blades aren't bent after a shot, I can sharpen those really well.

I agree...he's also trying to sell some "real" anatomy deer target so he gets a little off track. I think the most informative part, especially for new hunters, is where the leg, elbow, shoulder, scapula bones are located.

I also agree on the sharp broadhead. I shoot rage and slick tricks. I have a Gatco Sharpener kit that I use to put a good edge on my blades. If my Rage blades aren't bent after a shot, I can sharpen those really well.
Which sharpener is that? I've been wondering how...those blades are so small

Text with Skip over weekend, he suggested I post a couple pics of the blood trail this weekend on my buck. I use Rocket Hammerhead (expandable) and I think I am 100% on recoveries since switching to this blade. Really opens them up and leaves a great blood trail.

This is good thread, the only thing I can add, is for young guys, and less experienced hunters, shoot some deer!! You need the real world practice, I missed a lot of deer when I was younger, and still do on occasion, but I think too many young guys pass up good shots at deer. A good shot opportunity, take your time, and your confidence level will go way up.
Good luck!blood trail-1.jpg blood trail 2.jpg

Deflated a slob 2 days ago and came back here for reassurance in the shot. Let him lay over night for good measure but he was dead 100 yds away.

Will get some pics up soon

Top Bottom