Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

picture test

but the Naps I mean fun begin all you other loser teams are going down. sending voice to text so don't blame me for typos. beautiful morning turkey's gobbling all around I've heard 2 gunshots already. time to start yelping like a sick Pig in heat

left over from last year. mmmmmmm

ForumRunner_20160418_080311.jpg

not much action. they have quieted down. most excitement was from a song bird hitting the blind.

at the last minute on the way out the door I put on rubber boots over cotton socks. I had planned on wearing my old chore boots.

my feet are now cold because the cotton holds the moisture next to your skin

ForumRunner_20160418_084218.jpg

my feet are much better now

I can barely believe that it took 15 years for you to figure picture posting out.

You know what they say about men with long toes? Ever pick up a pop bottle with those?

Now for the rest of the story.

It got so hot in the blind today that I was experiencing difficulty playing solitaire on my technology deficient tablet. It was time to be done. I opened the door and unzipped the sky light. I felt like I was in air condoning so I sat in there a few minutes longer. Finally my bladder said enough is enough. I crawled out of the blind to see a hen about 200 yards away. Oh well, there probably wasn't a tom in tow.

I thought I was dehydrated and when I answered Mother Nature's call my thought was confirmed. I've seen root beer that was lighter colored.

So let me back up to yesterday the day before big people opener. I was setting up blinds. I set up the first blind for an "afternoon blind" meaning it would be in the shade and therefore cooler then the blind I was going to set up for morning, or "cool" hunts.

I got to the spot to set up my morning blind and there was another blind about 40 yards away on the neighbors ground. Well, what should I do? Put the blind where I wanted or move to another spot? The neighbor's blind had all the windows open and the door open was flapping in the wind so I wasn't sure if the blind had been up since last fall or if it was new.

I set up my blind right were I had anticipated setting it up. I reasoned if they were in the blind in the morning I'd move to the afternoon blind albeit a little earlier than I wanted.

So this morning, big people opening day, I was out of the cabin by 0540 and got to the spot where I could see the other blind. Yup, there were decoys out so I went to my afternoon blind. It was 0555 when I got there with sunrise at 0620. I could hear gobblers in several areas. My afternoon blind, which isn't in view of the neighbors blind and only about 200 yards away was set up and ready. I put out the pretty boy and hen then settled in for what I hoped would be a short wait.

The hunters in the neighbor's blind started calling on a box call. They called and called and called. Long story short, like I'm capable of that, the neighbor was done calling by 1100 and I can only imagine they were done because they wore out their box call.

In the six or so morning hours I spent in the afternoon blind I saw three hens, not counting the one I saw when Mother Nature was screaming at me, played countless games of solitaire winning a very small percentage and heard endless renderings of yelps, clucks and unknown sounds on the neighbor's box call.

All was not lost though, I found a shed on the way back to the cabin. We won't talk about how big it was because it wasn't.

I rearranged my gear and headed home with plans to return Thursday night to hunt Friday morning no matter how much the other guys force me to drink Thursday night.

I got home, did a few things around the house and headed to the shower. I was checking myself for ticks with a hand held mirror before I got in the shower. My wife got home from work while I was mirroring. She came into the bathroom. She said "What in the hell are you doing with that mirror?" To which I replied "Checking myself for ticks." She said "I'll never be able to use the mirror to do my hair again." I asked "Why?" to which she replied "Because every time I look at that mirror I'll think about what you're looking at." I said "yeah but you've seen them before." to which she replied "Nope, I always have my eyes closed when I've been in that area." So I guess she'll be buying a new mirror and I'll be using bug spray. Damn.

Do you need some assistance, do you need me out there? I got you a 3 bearded giant all those years ago, for the right amount of KingCobra I'd help again.

Do you need some assistance, do you need me out there? I got you a 3 bearded giant all those years ago, for the right amount of KingCobra I'd help again.

if you want to call from todays blind I guess it would ok. a little wierd and cramped but I usually don't need help in todays blind.

ForumRunner_20160419_093109.jpg

if you want to call from todays blind I guess it would ok. a little wierd and cramped but I usually don't need help in todays blind.
Dang man... this blind, a morning blind.... and an afternoon blind. Does your wife know about all these blinds!? Haha.

Just curious if you have ever "grunted" in a buck to that blind?

Nope. Quite the opposite. If I'm grunting in that blind the other bucks scatter only to return when my scent fades.

I was going to submit a score from today's sit in the blind but thankfully it didn't have any spurs. What it lacked in spurs it more than made up for in weight, but it still wasn't anywhere good enough to win this years turkey contest.

Top Bottom