Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pie bald?

Anybody know where the regulation is on piebald or white deer for Iowa? I just looked through the handbook and didn't see it. I know it's there, or somewhere, just couldn't find it.

After about 1-2 hrs of searching I found it under chapter 481A .124 under wildlife conservation under the Iowa code. Unfortunately it is vague like many other topics stating.....

1. "A Person shall not take a predominantly white deer in this state."

2. "This section only applies to whitetail, other than farm deer that are kept as provided in chapter 170. "

3. A person violating subsection 1 is guilty of a simple misdemeanor.

So I think this is why so many say ask your CO. Mine just said that if it was found to be under 50% I would be fined so he recommended to not harvest based on my pictures. I could take the chance but a simple misdemeanor in Iowa can mean jail time up to 30 days and a fine between $65 and $625.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Yeah not sure who the governing body is to make the call on 50% but I'm sure that's why it's vague, so the CO has the power. I personally don't want to make an enemy of my CO and go behind his back for this deer. He said if I could come up with more photos he'd be glad to take another look. Guess I'm not gonna pull the trigger without his blessing. This deer was never on my trail cams and never called my area home to my knowledge. I'm guessing he was pushed hard from miles away so unless my cams pick him up before January 10 he will get a pass from me. Sent from my iPhone using IW

As stated it's a horrible law. How are we supposed to know if it is "predominantly" white. I'd be asking for a second opinion either way

Agreed. What if the deer was predominantly "off white"? :D Is it Ok then, etc? I would think this poorly written statute would crumble under any type of appeal...but I don't know if I would want the headache to pursue it.

Top Bottom