Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Piebald buck

Plendl

This was quite a suprise to get on cams. When I was flipping threw pics I first thought he looked like an antelope. He doesnt have the biggest rack but his left g2 curls backwards and has a knarly looking rack. He would be a tough one to pass just because how rare piebalds are. This isnt the first time we have seen some around here. Shotgun season 4 years ago i saw an albino doe with a group of 4 normal deer. The next fall during harvest my gpa spotted a yearling that was a piebald and his legs were all white and face and back speckled. How common is seeing these kind of deer in the wild and if he comes with in range this year should I shoot??
picture.php

picture.php

Not the best pic due to the panoramic 150. Not sure if i like this camera yet or not, but if anyone can zoom the pics in so you can see him better would be nice thanks.

Here are some closer pics of him. Im still debating on if i should shoot him if i have a chance this fall. Ino he isnt the biggest or most mature deer in the woods but how often will a guy have a chance to shoot one let alone see one. What would you guys do? He would make a cool full body mount.
picture.php

Here is a close up pic of his rack. I cant tell if he grew it this way or if he broke it. Im hoping that he will keep it like this for hard horned.
picture.php

Tough call. I agree, he'd make a really cool full body mount, but if he had a couple more years and bigger headgear, it'd be even better :D Good luck!

NWBuck

Just read something interesting about Iowa and piebald deer. It said something about being 50% in order to be legal to shoot. Does anyone else know what the law is? Would that make this one illegal or legal to shoot?

Confused why they would protect them when most to all piebalds and albinos have bad spines legs roman nose and shorter lower jaw and have problems surviving in wild. Does anyone know Iowa's regulations on shooting these types of deer?

Didn't Liv shoot a really cool looking piebald buck a few years back? Maybe if he sees this he'll throw up a pic. Or maybe I'm just showing my crappy memory again :D

NWBuck

Didn't Liv shoot a really cool looking piebald buck a few years back? Maybe if he sees this he'll throw up a pic. Or maybe I'm just showing my crappy memory again :D

NWBuck

You are correct he shot a beautiful one a handful of years back. One of the cooler deer and mounts I have ever seen.

Liv's is very cool! Kind of roan with white spots all over like an appaloosa horse.

I was under the belief that if they were >50% that you couldn't shoot them. I've seen a piebald yearling in the wild and the thing stood out like crazy. At first I thought it was a young horse coming through the field. It would be a tough call in your case!

Top Bottom